walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Scotland or England - which is best?

Scotland or England - which is best?

Postby IdahoGirl » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:02 pm

Hey, I'm Jeeny. coming to UK in summer this yr and wondering where is best to visit :shock: details of my dilemma at http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59378
Hope to hear from u :D
Jeeny X
IdahoGirl
Stravaiging

Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Scotland or England - which is best?

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:47 pm

IdahoGirl wrote:Hey, I'm Jeeny. coming to UK in summer this yr and wondering where is best to visit :shock: details of my dilemma at [url]<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59378</span>[/url]
Hope to hear from u :D
Jeeny X

Oh dearie dearie me.... cue lots of arguing and differences of opinion...
Come to Scotland, obviously. http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areafwil/index.html
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby StevieC » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:28 pm

Well as we say over here, there's only one way to find out...FIGHT!!!!!
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:31 pm

(from your other post)
Hey guys, I am thinking now about coming to Britain for my summer trip. Maybe Bolivia will be 2017!
I have about three weeks and I want to do some mountain hikes as well as see some of the cities. But I don’t want to spend all my time travelling up and down the island.
So my big question is - England or Scotland? Which would be best for a trip? I can see that Scotland has more mountains but maybe England has more variety? So not sure, any advice very welcome!
I am thinking if I did England, I would do maybe a week or two in the Lake District. Plus maybe Yorkshire Dales, and then York and London. But I would like to see some coast too.
Scotland I would maybe do Edinburgh and the West Highland Way. But I guess there are way more possibilities I do not know about.

Jeeny

As this is a walk HIGHLANDS website, I suspect the debate will be slightly biased towards Scotland...and as an Englishman, I'd agree too! That's assuming you are looking for a more adventurous trip, mountains, amazing coastlines, beaches, and some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world.

If you're looking for twee little villages, green and pleasant, softer, landscapes with hedgerows and traffic jams, come to England instead ;)

The reality is, that each has its own appeal, and there is a massive variety of terrains within both too, that's one of the appeals of Britain.

If you're primarily visiting to hill walk in wild and beautiful country, and want to get away from the crowds, head for Scotland.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:23 pm

Neither, but one or other may be better :wink: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:48 am

Hi Idahogirl. You can do both. Britain is a small country. About half the size of California in area. Im guessing you come from Idaho. Your best option to get to the UK would probably be to fly to London (cheaper and plenty flights from the US)
You could spend a couple of days and do the touristy stuff in London. The train from Kings cross in London to Edinburgh takes just over 4 hours (there is at least one train every hour) and goes through York. A day or 2 in Edinburgh more tourist stuff.
Then if you drive, hire a car. About 5 or 6 hours of driving from Edinburgh would get you to just about anywhere on the Scottish mainland. Most places would take much less time to get to :D

Which is best? See below :D
Caberfeidh wrote: Scotland, obviously.
Sunset tripper

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:50 pm

Sunset tripper wrote: if you drive, hire a car.

Indeed. But please remember we drive on the correct side of the road here in the Land of the Free.

4th July.jpg
4th of July Greetings
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby IdahoGirl » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks all for all the advice! Really appreciated.

"Correct side of the road" - is that "correct" as in "left"? Or "correct" as in "right"? :wink:

Jeeny
IdahoGirl
Stravaiging

Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:44 pm

IdahoGirl wrote:Thanks all for all the advice! Really appreciated.

"Correct side of the road" - is that "correct" as in "left"? Or "correct" as in "right"? :wink:

Jeeny

It only takes three moves on any thread for Caberfeidh to get to the point where he offers his amputation service, and in discussing which side of the road to drive on, I fear he is nearly there.

Left. Unless you are a passenger looking out of the back window of the car,

Have a lovely time.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:44 pm

Sgurr wrote:
IdahoGirl wrote:Thanks all for all the advice! Really appreciated.
Jeeny

It only takes three moves on any thread for Caberfeidh to get to the point where he offers his amputation service, and in discussing which side of the road to drive on, I fear he is nearly there. Left. Unless you are a passenger looking out of the back window of the car, Have a lovely time.

Indeed. And on single-track roads with passing places, remember to head for the LEFT , not the right, when a vehicle comes towards you at high speed. Unlike the unfortunate carload of 'Spics with whom I very nearly had a head-on collision at Loch Arkaig. They were shocked and upset at their near-death experience, I was in hysterics with laughter. No wonder the Armada sank...
Good Ship Caberfeidh#1.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Buggiba » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:48 pm

Scotland, Except during midge season.
Buggiba
Mountaineer

Postby Bfckarlos » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:54 pm

As a Yorkshiremen with Scottish father, living in one if the flattist areas of Yorkshire (East), I would say without a doubt, SCOTLAND!!!!!!

I am always drawn to it, been visiting all my life and still yearn for the homeland (even though born and bred in Hull), so I go as often as I can and to get out in the open air is the best place to be.

I'm even going to Canada in a couple of weeks, but still looking forward to my trip to Fort William a week after I get back from a month in Canada.
Bfckarlos
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   
Hewitts:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...