walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Another hello

Another hello

Postby meursault » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Old timer, atrial fibrillation this last year. Medics very slow to achieve anything. In mainland UK, above 2000', still 4 corbetts and 19 grahams yet to visit. Don't know I'll ever finish these now, but it's been a great journey and not giving up quite yet.
meursault

Re: Another hello

Postby Walkscot » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Well done and always keep going. I'm sure you'll have lots of experiences to share on here in the future.
Walkscot
Munro compleatist

Munros:129   Corbetts:12

Postby Sgurr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:03 pm

meursault wrote:Old timer, atrial fibrillation this last year. Medics very slow to achieve anything. In mainland UK, above 2000', still 4 corbetts and 19 grahams yet to visit. Don't know I'll ever finish these now, but it's been a great journey and not giving up quite yet.

Someone I walk with aged 76 also has atrial fibrillation. Just walks very slowly because of other medical problems, but still achieved a whole lot of 2000 plus hills last year. It can be done. Just pace yourself and set out early. Fill in your logger, and I might amend this advice. Thought doing Ben Aden at 70 was pushing it a bit: he had to have a long lie down to recover on the way back.

From Sgurr (Aged 77 3/4 and still walking)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby meursault » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks to both Walkscot and Sgurr for your encouragement. I think I'll be having a cardiac procedure early summer. Catheter ablation. 80% chance it cures me, 19% chance it does nothing and 1% chance it gives me a stroke. After a whole year with AF and being prevented from big walks, I'm willing to take those odds.

I don't really want to fill in the logger. But the Corbetts I'm yet to visit are Ben Aden, Ben an Oir, it's neighbour which name I've forgotten for the moment, and Ben Dearg Mor. The 19 Grahams are a mixture of Hebridean and long walks in the Northwest Highlands. I was over to Rum last October, for Trallaval, but had to give it up maybe 200m below the summit. I'd been so slow that I needed to turnaround to get my ferry off. And I was knackered.

I don't know that I'll put all of what I've done up on this site, but what I do have is a load of photos on facebook, though not under this name. If you want to personal message me, I'll be happy to give you details.
meursault

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 pm

meursault wrote: Ben an Oir, it's neighbour which name I've forgotten for the moment,

Beinn an Oir is the only Corbett on Jura, so maybe you can get down to 3 without leaving the house!

All the best for the op and hope you have a swift recovery.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:50 pm

jmarkb wrote:
meursault wrote: Ben an Oir, it's neighbour which name I've forgotten for the moment,

Beinn an Oir is the only Corbett on Jura, so maybe you can get down to 3 without leaving the house!

All the best for the op and hope you have a swift recovery.

Maybe the other Corbett is Beinn Dearg Bheag. Did it and Mor on a day that was far too hot with not enough water.To cap it all, we knew that Manny Gorman who was running the Corbetts aimed to be in the vicinity that day. Towards the end of the day, a side-kick brought up his bike and Manny sped off past us having run Beinn Airigh Charr, Beinn Lair and Beinn a' Chaisgein Mor, before he got to Beinn Dearg Mor and Bheag. We met him at his campervan at the road, where he was bemoaning not having also done Sail Mhor, but seemed less exhausted than us.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby meursault » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:34 am

Got my clauses mixed up. Meant Ben Aden's neighbour. Beinn Dearg Beag was one of my few successes last year, walking in from Gruinard Bay. But not enough left in the tank to walk around to Beinn Dearg Mor before returning. Nice to have a reason to return to Fisherfield, all being well...
meursault

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...