walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Dog Friendly Hills

Dog Friendly Hills

Postby StephenAndHarris2017 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:10 am

:D

Hello. I would like to meet up with other walkers with my labrador Harris. What are particularly good walks for dogs. We are based just outside Glasgow but are happy to travel couple of hours for a good walk.

Thanks
StephenAndHarris2017
Munro compleatist

Re: Dog Friendly Hills

Postby rhiannmiddleton » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi

Just seen your message when browsing. I've recently been bagging some munros with my 'borrowed dog' Dex the staffy. So far this year Dex and I have climbed Ben vorlich (loch earn), Ben chonzie, an Castiel and bienn a'chroin and Ben lawers and ben ghlas. So far all have been great for Dex. He's fine off lead and I only put him on when there are sheep around.

:-)
rhiannmiddleton
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Dog Friendly Hills

Postby Briqual » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Most hills are fairly dog friendly, you just have to make sure you yourself are aware of the risks and dangers with dogs on the hills. I have two that I take along regularly and they've done pretty much all the hills that I have - not a huge number but a good few.

Get the dog on a lead when there are sheep about is the main thing, especially when there are lambs as it's not necessarily the dog bothering the sheep but they might try to protect the lambs and hurt the dog if it gets too close.

Dogs are decent climbers / scramblers but be aware of sharp drops and keep the dog well away from them if you can, they are usually pretty careful but if they get excited they could go over.

Last bit of advice is make sure your car is well protected for when you get back to it, they can get very wet and very dirty, learned that one the hard way :lol:
Briqual
Mountaineer

Munros:175   Corbetts:9
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...