walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hiya

Hiya

Postby alistair60 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Hello,
As a kid a long time ago we'd go and stay for the summer holidays with my Granny in Glasgow (a foreign country to us Sassenachs!), and once or twice my dad took me and my brothers up to Fort William for a couple of nights camping.
I've recently rediscovered that thrill, and introduced my 10 year old lad to the pleasures of the highlands. Last Summer we tramped along Loch Hourn to Barrisdale, and he bagged his first Munro; 10 hours to get up and down Ladhar Bheinn hasn't put him off, and he's chomping at the bit to go and do some more climbs, and I must admit I'm looking forward to heading back north soon myself! So much to see..
Easter, the whole family are off to Mull, and we'll spend a couple of nights in Glencoe, 'appen we'll be getting our boots muddy, but likely to be more gentle walks for the little'un.
Love this site, some fantastic descriptions of routes and great photos. Hope I can conribute from time to time.
alistair60

Re: Hiya

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi Alistair and welcome to the site - glad you like it. Ladhar Bheinn is quite a mountain for a first Munro - it's one of the one's I've still got to do :shock: but looking forward to it this year hopefully. Hope you get good weather on Mull 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby druidsam » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:52 pm

hiya Alistair, welcome to the forum, if when you are on mull you decide to climb ben more, pay attention to the white cottage you pass at the start of the walk, i spent a great week there when i was on mull and ben more is a good hill for a wee walk lol

......................Sam
druidsam

Munros:87   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby alistair60 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:01 pm

Thanks for the welcome, it all seems very supportive and friendly on here.
Yes Paul, Ladhar Bheinn was a fantastic start for James; I know its where a lot of people complete, but we thought why not start on the left, and work our way eastwards? I know that's not practical, but whatever, it was a great couple of days. The mountain itself will take a lot to be beaten, fantastic climb, amazing views at every turn, great peaks and edges, and some really interesting wildlife. Not to mention the solitude, its so good having a mountain all to yourself, or that's how it feels.
Druidsam, I'll have a look at Ben More certainly, and hope to give it a go, but I'm in hospital next week to have some pins and plates taken out of my foot (a couple of years ago I slipped on some scree on Holcombe Hill and fractured my ankle; three months out of action), so I may have to keep the hiking to a minimum. Has anyone had pins taken out? how long do you reckon before I'm back to full fitness? I hope three weeks should be long enough :?
alistair60

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:03 pm

Have you considered the benefits of amputation? You could get one of those springy prosthetic limbs attached. But then you'd go round in circles- alright for traversing hills but no good for up and down or crossing moors. You'd best get both legs amputated. Marvin Bore got that done and he climbed Everest. Think of the money you'd save on socks.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby alistair60 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:12 pm

Not sure I fancy that as it goes, but there again, if I got a really springy one. then the ups and downs may not be so bad!
alistair60

Postby yokehead » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:22 pm

I'd opt for the single amputation then you'd be just like a haggis, but you would only be able to go around the hill the one way of course, try it the other way and you'd fall over. :lol: :lol:

Ages since I did my leg in and had pins and plates, I remember ignoring what the docs said and getting active about a week after they had been taken out when the wounds had mostly healed. You'll know when you're ready, all the best.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...