walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

What is the age of the oldest person to ascend Ben Nevis?

What is the age of the oldest person to ascend Ben Nevis?

Postby Fen Hillbilly » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I am writing this as a 60 year old seasoned mountain walker. I have been up Ben Nevis a few times over the years. I took my father (NB the area we live in is 450 miles from Fort William) back in 2004. He wanted to go up Ben Nevis before reaching the venerable age of 80 (he reached that particular milestone on Xmas Day of that year). We walked up the Ben in mid May of 2004. Mission successfully accomplished!!

I have been trying to discover the age of the oldest person to go up the Ben ever since. I was intrigued to have now read a post by a lady named Karen. Her father reached the top of Ben Nevis shortly before his 83rd Birthday. Many, heartfelt, congratulations to him! I can now inform my own father.He is still going strong, though at 92 years old and with poor eyesight will not (sadly) be undertaking any more mountainous excursions. :clap: :D
Fen Hillbilly
Munro compleatist

Re: What is the age of the oldest person to ascend Ben Nevis

Postby Sgurr » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Given that the oldest person to climb Everest was 80, you would think there should be quite a few octogenarians up the Ben.. 80 is the new 60 (at least I plan it to be). I found it impossible to discover who was the youngest person to cycle from Lands End to John o'Groats and then decided that pushy parents would claim that their three year olds "wanted to do it." so e.g. The Guinness Book of Records wouldn't record it. I am under no illusions that at 14 my daughter was anywhere near the youngest, but at least it was her own idea. I think we are prepared to realise old people have autonomy, so there would be no question of putting pressure on them to do it, so I am surprised it is so hard to find out (I can't either, but then my googling skills are pretty basic)

I believe Miles Hutchinson was still going strong almost to the end at 90, but there is nothing in his obituary to say if that included Ben Nevis

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/obituaries/15391630.Obituary___Miles_Hutchinson__hillwalker_and_pioneering_Munroist/
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Friday » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:33 am

Hi I searched this question before I climbed Ben Nevis with my mum.Well done to all the gentlemen mentioned here. It is a challenge. It was a privilege to share the effort my mum made. My mum was 78.5 years old when she climbed in August. Is there a record of the oldest female to climb Ben Nevis? It was our first visit to the Highlands and the scenery was stunning. Best wishes Friday
Attachments
IMG-20230831-WA0006.jpg
At the summit with my mum and my children..
Friday
Mountain Walker

Postby Sgurr » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:06 pm

I would be tempted to go out and do it, if I thought that 84 would get the record. I climbed Bowfell, Esk Pike and Great End in the Lakes in one day this year, but again, I don't kid myself that this is a record, there will be some ninety year who comes out of the woodwork the minute it is well publicised, as with Molly the Collie, alleged to be the first canine Corbett completist, and as soon as her name was in the papers, a dog called Grover appeared to say he had done them first.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sand01 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:20 pm

Last week, I was chatting with family about walks up the Ben and the name of Mr Bert Bissell came up. He went up the Ben every year for peace and climbed it 107 times in total until he was 91 apparently. There is lots of information about him online. Sure there will be someone older though!
Sand01
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...