walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hi everyone

Hi everyone

Postby IanHG3 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi
Just to introduce myself - a 53 year old beginner to backpacking having done about a dozen nights wild camping with my wife in the last year.
I've loitered around the website for a year or so picking up lots of useful info.
We live in North Yorkshire and have been backpacking mainly in Scotland - Cairngorms, Mull and near Moffat.
IanHG3
Scrambler

Re: Hi everyone

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Greetings and welcome! Well done on getting started, you'll find it becomes more than a hobby, it's a way of life. When the weather is too lousy to get out and about, read books and pore over maps, dreaming of future adventures. An excellent book is "Hillwalking and Scrambling" by Steve Ashton, available from Amazon at much cheapness.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Ashton/e/B000AP9EUW/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_book_1

Buchaille Etive Mhor.jpg
Buchaille Etive Mhor from Rannoch Moor
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby IanHG3 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks Caberfeidh!

That's an interesting link, 2 copies of the book, one at 32p and one at £296!!! And the cheap one written in 1900.......

Seriously, thanks for the pointer, and I do seem to be spending more time researching possible walks/camps already, there's more than I have time for just on this website!

Ian
IanHG3
Scrambler

Postby bog hopper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi and welcome , to find out about anything backpacking you won't go far wrong with any of chris townsends books , his 'Backpackers Handbook ' especially good , full of loads of useful hints and tips.
bog hopper
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...