walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Orkney Isles

Orkney Isles

Postby Magnetar8 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:48 am

Hello we are new to the site. We are heading up to the Orkney Isles by train and bus, staying at St Margarets Hope.
We are stopping off at Edinburgh,Inverness and Brora on the way up for a couple of nights. We are OAPs and would like to tap in on members experience for some walks they may suggest we could go on around these locations.
Keith
Magnetar8

Re: Orkney Isles

Postby helenw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi Keith
Guessing you'll have seen the Orkney walks on here. If you're reliant on public transport, buses are pretty good but it would limit the number of other islands you can visit as day trips. Walks on South Ronaldsay that are particularly good are Hunda and the East Coast Walk which takes in the excellent tomb of the Ealges. Sands of Wright and Hoxa Head can be easily reached on foot from St Margarets Hope. Lots of options on Hoy for the day and you probably don't want to miss the Ring of Brodgar and Maes Howe if you've not been to the main Orkney sites already.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Re: Orkney Isles

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:13 pm

While at Inverness be sure to visit the ancient burial mounds and standing stones at the Clava Cairns; while in that area you can also visit the 18th century battlefield of Culloden. The tiny hamlet of Dores at the north east end of Loch Ness has a nice beach with great views down the loch, and a neat wee pub by the waterside. Orkney has ancient sites and lonely shores by the score, with meadows and wild fowl all around. Brogar, Stenness, Mae's Howe,the Broch O' Birsay and many other places will lure you in. Locals in Orkney are friendly and helpful, and the pubs sell great seafood and fine ales. Wish I was there...

Loch Ness head#2.jpg
Loch Ness from Dores
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Re: Orkney Isles. Re Papa Westray connections

Postby Mulfordb » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:19 pm

I'm new to this. If you want a really special walking experience head to Papa Westray you can walk the coast around the whole island, beautiful. Empty except for seals & birds nature reserve. Friendly folk. Ranger Bird Warden. Shop. Excellent. Quickest route plane from Kirkwall. P.W. Is 3 X1. Miles I'm biaised - I live there when I can. Mulfordb
Mulfordb
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...