walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hi folks

Hi folks

Postby Ochberg » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:16 pm

I hiked the West Highland way with my sons in ‘14, and we are heading back for some more ambling. We might try the Great Glen Way or some treks on Skye and Islay. This time I am bring rubber boots, gortex boots can’t survive in the mush.
Ochberg
Bird-watcher

Re: Hi folks

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Good luck with the walks!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Hi folks

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:11 am

Ochberg wrote:I hiked the West Highland way with my sons in ‘14, and we are heading back for some more ambling. We might try the Great Glen Way or some treks on Skye and Islay. This time I am bring rubber boots, gortex boots can’t survive in the mush.

It is true we have a semi-aquatic landscape. Leather hiking boots, waterproofed with beeswax, are good. They keep the water in so much that water squirts out the top with each step. In sub-zero conditions they freeze solid, like cast iron. Scottish hikers have the only cases of "Trench-Foot" since 1918. The Eastern Cairngorms, between Aviemore and Braemar usually have a drier climate, but not always. The Lairig Ghru is an interesting route through high hills on rocky paths. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/lairig-ghru.shtml

A1 Mountaineering Club.jpg
Scottish Mountaineering Club
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...