walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Greetings from the Lowlands beyond the Highlands

Greetings from the Lowlands beyond the Highlands

Postby Pastychomper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am

Hello all!

I'm a keen but erratic walker based in Caithness, currently trying to get back into the swing of hills & mountains.

Last week I tried running (ok, partly running) the route of a local hill race to see if I was up to it, and had occasional pains in a toe joint for days afterwards. I thought maybe I'd have to rethink running across rough ground in boots, but last night I found a neat cure that might be helpful for others in a similar predicament: I removed a 10mm tack from the sole of my slipper, and the pain hasn't returned since.

Isn't it amazing what one can learn from Scottish hills?
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Re: Greetings from the Lowlands beyond the Highlands

Postby matt and eilidh » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:42 pm

I'm in Caithness too. Tricky to get off down south to find hills to climb. But hopefully will manage!

Eilidh
matt and eilidh
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Pastychomper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:22 am

Yes it can be a trek, last time I did a Munro I had a good driver and we were still back well past midnight. Still I suspect we're closer than some on this forum! :)
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Postby mattcymru » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:15 am

i get upset when i see the word `lowlands` i mean the southern uplands reach 843 metres! thats higher than anywhere in england outside of the lake district and cross fell!
mattcymru
Bird-watcher

Hewitts:6

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 am

Pastychomper wrote:I'm a keen but erratic walker based in Caithness,

matt and eilidh wrote:I'm in Caithness too. Tricky to get off down south to find hills to climb. But hopefully will manage!Eilidh

You don't need to go South, go West into Sutherland. Once you're West of Bettyhill you're into some hilly country, albeit with vast sweeping vistas of open moorland in between the hills.

IMG_3046hdrcropR.jpg
Ben Loyal from Loch Loyal

IMG_2915hdrR.jpg
Ben Loyal across the waters of the Kyle of Tongue

IMG_2913aR.jpg
Ben Loyal towers above the village of Tongue

IMG_2912aR.jpg
Ben Hope across the moor
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Pastychomper » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:02 am

The "lowlands beyond the highlands" quip refers to northern Caithness, which sits well below 300m and does a passable impression of a pancake. Admittedly southern Caithness includes Morven and friends plus (I think) the 400m+ plateau to the east of Kinbrace, but most of the county is low in the flow country.

I don't mean to upset anyone (not even the fine folk in Wick :angel:) by calling it lowland, indeed being surrounded by the highlands and islands it does feel decidedly highlandish. It's also a great place to live with excellent beaches, open space and as pointed out, access to some cracking hills. But it ain't high.

Caberfeidh wrote:You don't need to go South, go West...

I understand life is peaceful there, in the open air...
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...