walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Newbie seeking hints and tips

Newbie seeking hints and tips

Postby elainemcg82 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:19 pm

I would like to start hill walking with my children (10 and 8). I am not an experienced climber so I am looking for advice on essential kit to carry and easy walks that are well marked and family friendly so we can get off to a good start :) We are in Dundee so places in Tayside and Angus would be ideal.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
elainemcg82
Mountaineer

Re: Newbie seeking hints and tips

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 pm

A good walk that maintains the interest for younger walkers and goes to a proper mountain top is Ben Vrackie - not too far from you. It is described here https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/ben-vrackie.shtml

I suggest, though, leaving it until clear of snow.

In the meantime, try East Lomond https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fife-stirling/east-lomond.shtml. It's an ideal walk for testing how much the children enjoy walking!

My suggestions for what to take.

1. By far the most important piece of kit I have used when walking with children is SWEETS. "Yes, you can have another one. Let's get the bag out when we get to that rock up there" is the most powerful motivator known to mankind.

2. Water. Make sure they have some hydration.

3. Decent hillwalking footwear for kids that isn't a ridiculous price can be found at Go Outdoors, or you can do even better sometimes at Aldi or Lidl

4. Make sure they have good warm and waterproof gear. My son got wet on a walk once due to a duff coat. I can still remember the shock of finding that he was wet and cold, I felt awful! - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=58567
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Sgurr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Norman's Law, just the other side of the Tay is good. It also has a viewfinder on it to identify hills you might fancy another day. Time before last we went up there was a birthday party from a nearby primary school on top and they were all having a great time from 6 to 12.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby tensacks » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:04 pm

If the kids take to it, why not set an easy target, like all the hills of Fife. The Lomonds are the biggest, but there are a number of other small ones that you might do two in a day with a café stop in-between.........

TS
tensacks
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...