walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello from Copenhagen

Hello from Copenhagen

Postby Frihed89 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:18 pm

I am an American who has lived and worked in Denmark since 1996. I just retired. My Scottish relatives (Mackintosh) from around Inverness settled Darien, GA in 1736. I've been to Scotland Twice, to Edinburg a couple of years ago and Inverness last year. My son (living in London) and I walked around Loch Affric on that trip, and we were inspired to take a 2 day, leisurely walk from the parking lot at the Eastern end of Glen Affric to Morvich. My son has reserved an overnight place for us. We are going in late May, sometime.

What befuddles me is how to get from Inverness to the parking lot at Glen Affric and then how to get back to Inverness from Morvich. My son suggested that we would need two rental cars. How does that work, other than to drive both cars to Morvich, leave one there and drive back to Glen Affric to start the walk? Then I suppose when we arrive in Morvich, we hop in the car, there, and drive back to the parking lot at Glen Affric, and so on and so forth.

Tell me, please, isn't there a more simple way? Such as taking some form of public transport from Inverness to Glen Affric, walk for 2 days (with an over-night) to Morvich and then take public transport back to Inverness to pick up our bags. Or why not just one car, left at the parking lot and then taking public transport from Morvich back to the car at Glenn Affric?

Please help me to solve this "riddle", and if you think I'm dumb as a rock - or worse - my only response is that I'm 75 and retired.

Thanks very much...of course we could back 1 day!

Kind Regards,

"Mac"
Frihed89
Mountaineer

Re: Hello from Copenhagen

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:17 am

Greetings and welcome! I agree that hiring two cars is a bit too expensive and complex. Would you try hitch-hiking? A bus or taxi from Inverness to Glen Affric then walk through the glens to your destination, and hitch back. The highlands are full of hillwalkers who would be happy to stop and give you a lift - I pick up hitchers a lot as I used to hitch-hike and I like to pay a bit back. Failing that, you could go elsewhere with easier public transport links. Aviemore is good for this, well served with buses and trains. Same for Fort William. Cue lots of people recommending places...

Apercrossan Thistles.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Frihed89 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks cabberfeidh. We've already booked space overnight on the trail.
Mac
Frihed89
Mountaineer

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 am

Hi and Welcome!

Hmm, not the best spot to get to without a car at the Affric end, but the Morvich end is served by buses.

Perhaps you could use public transport to Drumnadrochit (on Loch Ness so regular service), then use a pre-arranged taxi to get to the top of the Affric road (this may be more costly if there are none in Drumnadrochit!). When you finish, you can then just use public transport back to Inverness from Morvich, which will exist if you time it properly. Can't help you on the details I'm afraid, just thinking out loud really! Beautiful glens to walk through, enjoy.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...