walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello from Surrey

Hello from Surrey

Postby Peter Ford » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Wrong side of 60 here but as I'm retired now I'm looking forward to some long walks. Next year I'm planning on doing the John O'Groats to Inverness trail as part of my walk to Lands End.
Peter Ford
Mountaineer

Re: Hello from Surrey

Postby Sgurr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:26 pm

Peter Ford wrote:Wrong side of 60 here but as I'm retired now I'm looking forward to some long walks. Next year I'm planning on doing the John O'Groats to Inverness trail as part of my walk to Lands End.

Climbed far more hills the "wrong" side of 60 than the "right" side, so think it needs a bit of redefinition. Is that the first bit of your trail, or a different bit? Sounds pretty impressive anyway. I think walking is probably better than cycling as daughter and I did. We thought that it would make us look at the countryside, but it made us look (a) where the next food was coming from (b) traffic.

Welcome to the site. We need more 60+, 70+ and 80+ here.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mylesmcs » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi Peter,

I'm Turning 30 this year and hearing that you planning a John O'Groats to Lands end trip reminds me that I have many years of walking ahead of me. The lovely thing about hiking is that as long as you can manage it physically its enjoyable no matter your age.

Hope the planning is going well and that you have an amazing hike!

All the best
mylesmcs
Backpacker

Munros:9   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Peter Ford » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Sorry for the very long delay, but this year hasn't been kind to me on the health front as I now have lymphoma and since June have been back and forwards to hospital for tests and scans etc. I now have 2 more chemotherapy cycles to go before moving onto my "get fit again" programme. I am still going to do this walk but its delayed by a year, so May 2020.
I'll be doing some longer walks down south here this year as part of the get fit, but if I feel up to it I might head to Scotland for a weeks walking later in the summer and no midges don't bother me lol.
Peter Ford
Mountaineer

Postby Peter Ford » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Sgurr wrote:
Peter Ford wrote:Wrong side of 60 here but as I'm retired now I'm looking forward to some long walks. Next year I'm planning on doing the John O'Groats to Inverness trail as part of my walk to Lands End.

Climbed far more hills the "wrong" side of 60 than the "right" side, so think it needs a bit of redefinition. Is that the first bit of your trail, or a different bit? Sounds pretty impressive anyway. I think walking is probably better than cycling as daughter and I did. We thought that it would make us look at the countryside, but it made us look (a) where the next food was coming from (b) traffic.

Welcome to the site. We need more 60+, 70+ and 80+ here.

Yes its going to be the 1st part of my walk, I also have Jays little book about the trail and yes it does look challenging, but bearing in mind its a work in progress, I think it'll be a bit clearer come 2020.
Peter Ford
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...