walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Salutations!

Salutations!

Postby JerseyGirl4 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:45 pm

Hello from the other side! of the pond that is..

I'll be traveling to Scotland for the first time next month and looking to bag my first Munro! I am an experienced hiker having hiked here in the states and even semi-conquered Carrauntoohil in Ireland 2 years ago (lack of knowledge on Irish weather and not having prepared well enough, forced me and group to head down before reaching the summit). BUT, thanks to this site, I know how to prepare for my climb next month! I will reach the summit!

Best,
Lauren
JerseyGirl4
Hill Bagger

Re: Salutations!

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 16, 2018 11:43 am

Welcome to WH!

Hope you have a great trip: which Munro are you aiming for?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby JerseyGirl4 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:43 pm

Still deciding. I was aiming for Ben Nevis :shock: but now its between Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond) or Ben More combined with Stob Binnein. I have the whole day but I'm without a car and relying on public transport.

Any preference?
JerseyGirl4
Hill Bagger

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 16, 2018 5:54 pm

JerseyGirl4 wrote:Still deciding. I was aiming for Ben Nevis :shock: but now its between Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond) or Ben More combined with Stob Binnein. I have the whole day but I'm without a car and relying on public transport.

Any preference?

Where are you staying - Glasgow?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby JerseyGirl4 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm

jmarkb wrote:
JerseyGirl4 wrote:Still deciding. I was aiming for Ben Nevis :shock: but now its between Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond) or Ben More combined with Stob Binnein. I have the whole day but I'm without a car and relying on public transport.

Any preference?

Where are you staying - Glasgow?

Yes staying in Glasgow
JerseyGirl4
Hill Bagger

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun May 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi Jersey Girl!

If you are looking for a really rewarding walk to a fine Munro close to public transport from Glasgow, do consider An Caisteal from Crianlarich (train station and bus stop).

I was there yesterday. It was - well, see for yourself at https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80675

(PS You don't have to go beyond An Caisteal summit to the second Munro. You can just go back down the same way you came up, although it's not hard to do both hills, by this route.)

Have a great time!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby jmarkb » Sun May 20, 2018 11:10 pm

My suggestion would be Beinn Narnain and The Cobbler (not described as a single walk on here, but it's a combination of https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/beinn-ime.shtml and https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/beinn-ime.shtml). Although not a Munro, The Cobbler is the probably the most spectacular peak in the southern Highlands. Easy access by train from Glasgow: use the Three Lochs Way path to get to the start instead of walking on the road).

Ben More and Stob Binnein are a fine pair of hills, but the route up Ben More from Crianlarich is 1000m of unrelenting grind.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby JerseyGirl4 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:28 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Hi Jersey Girl!

If you are looking for a really rewarding walk to a fine Munro close to public transport from Glasgow, do consider An Caisteal from Crianlarich (train station and bus stop).

I was there yesterday. It was - well, see for yourself at https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80675

(PS You don't have to go beyond An Caisteal summit to the second Munro. You can just go back down the same way you came up, although it's not hard to do both hills, by this route.)

Have a great time!

Tim

Tim, what a wonderful report of your walk! Your pictures alone may have made my decision. Thanks for sharing your report and your recommendation!
JerseyGirl4
Hill Bagger

Postby JerseyGirl4 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:31 pm

jmarkb wrote:My suggestion would be Beinn Narnain and The Cobbler (not described as a single walk on here, but it's a combination of https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/beinn-ime.shtml and https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/beinn-ime.shtml). Although not a Munro, The Cobbler is the probably the most spectacular peak in the southern Highlands. Easy access by train from Glasgow: use the Three Lochs Way path to get to the start instead of walking on the road).

Ben More and Stob Binnein are a fine pair of hills, but the route up Ben More from Crianlarich is 1000m of unrelenting grind.

Ooo more options! Have you done all three peaks?It seems The Cobbler isn't too much out of the way if doing both the others. The challenge is appealing for sure. I'll be reading more reports tonight! Thank you for your recommendation!
JerseyGirl4
Hill Bagger

Postby jmarkb » Mon May 21, 2018 11:45 pm

JerseyGirl4 wrote:Have you done all three peaks?It seems The Cobbler isn't too much out of the way if doing both the others.

Doing all three in a day is quite feasible, there are several walk reports for it on here. Quite a lot of ascent and descent, though: about 1600m in all.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...