walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello and plan to bag our first Munro this weekend!

Hello and plan to bag our first Munro this weekend!

Postby thepeopleskelbo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi there,

New member so thought I'd say Hello! Since our move out of the city (3 months ago) to Perthshire, we have been loving exploring our amazing surroundings and last week decided to start bagging some Munros. Our plan is to start with the nearby Ben Chonzie this weekend before the weather gets really wintry, as we have no experience with bad/winter weather. We've already hiked Glen Lednock which was beautiful, although the designated path was badly blocked by some massive fallen trees after the high winds a few weeks ago.

As we have a small child and a teenager, we have to plan these days around babysitting so we are ultimately relying on the weather being OK. Oh to be able to wake up and just decide to bag a Munro :lol: Although if the weather holds for this Saturday/Sunday we are hoping to persuade our teenage daughter to come with us!

Any tips for easier Munros to start us off would be most welcome and also tips for doing it with smaller kids (3.5 years) would be welcome too. Up until now we've been rationing out some sort of delicious snack over the distance we walk as positive reinforcement :clap:

Excited to get started!
thepeopleskelbo
Mountain Walker

Re: Hello and plan to bag our first Munro this weekend!

Postby onsen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Fingers crossed for some good weather for you...& welcome to the forum, thepeopleskelbo.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby mmill » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Welcome to the forum. Have you discovered that the met Office give forecasts for each munro? They are generally pretty accurate if you look the night before or that morning. Not looking great for this weekend, sadly. We walked a fair amount when our children were wee, distractions seemed to work best, word games, making up pointless categories!
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby Sgurr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 pm

These are WH's easiest Munros

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/our-pick-10-of-the-easier-munros/0013233/

Welcome, and good luck. Think it is harder to persuade teenagers that mountains would be fun than younger kids. A redoubtable acquaintance has already got her 4 year old grandson up 100 hills, though when she took him up his first Munro, he did say "Granny, I wish there was a portal to get us straight back down to the car-park "
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Munros1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 am

Hello.
I hope your first Munro walk was good & enjoyable. I am still a relative newbe when it comes to Munros having only this year clocked up my 100th which was Mount Keen, last month. You asked for suggestions of family friendly hills - well I would recommend the SMC Munros book which should answer many of your planning questions as well as providing inspiration to tick off another hill or two. My advice would be to remember when a bit cold, wet or miserable that we now go into the hills for pleasure! Good luck.
Munros1
Walker

Munros:199   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...