walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hiya, what's the craic with ye?

Hiya, what's the craic with ye?

Postby lcforsythe3 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:39 pm

Hiya!

I'm Leah, a geology undergrad based in Aberdeen. I've done a wee bit of walking here and there back home in the North of Ireland, but mostly in the Rockies in Alberta. Apart from that, I'm a complete novice!

I'm dead keen to get more involved in seeing the sights a bit closer to home, so if anyone has any recommendations for walks near Aberdeen that have good views, are easy to get to (I have only public transport and my own legs to get me places!) and are a little challenging I would love to know them!

:D
lcforsythe3
Mountaineer

Re: Hiya, what's the craic with ye?

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Hi, I was a student in Aberdeen; do the students all still go to the Red Lion, the Bobbin Mill, the Blue Lamp and the Prince of Wales? O happy days which I can't remember very well, probably because I spent so long in the aforesaid hostelries... Anyhoo, walks around Aberdeen accessible by bus or train.... hmmm... Stonehaven has a bus and train connection, you can walk along the clifftops to Dunottar Castle, which is impressive and not too far. To the north is Cruden Bay with Slains Castle. There may be a bus but it will be sporadic I should think. Inland, Braemar or Ballater have interesting hilly bits around them, but the buses seem to be in chaos just now. Perhaps you could join a hillwalking club either in the Uni or with real humans. Joining the Yoof Hostel Association provides cheap accommodation for places like Braemar and so opens up more areas for you. Good luck!

Luss#2r.jpg
Students trip on Loch Lomond
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...