walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Good morning from a shy newbie

Good morning from a shy newbie

Postby Jen McG » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:43 am

Hello, I've finally stopped lurking and decided to register. I've always had an interest in the outdoors, but only began heading into the hills properly around 7 years ago. We are a family of four - we have two girls aged 8 and 11.

My kids are often reluctant, but they are beginning to enjoy the sense of achievement that comes from completing a hill (the incentive of a full fat coke or a McDonalds always helps too :roll: )

The first hill we climbed as a family was the Callander Crags when the girls were 1 and 4. The elder of the two did Conic and Arthur's Seat with her dad the following year, and for a while after that we stuck to rambling, forest walks, short hikes etc.

When the little one was around 4 we invested in walking boots and took in the Grey Mare's Tail which they bounded up and down - there was plenty to interest them and of course the pretty loch at the top.

In the winter of that year we took them up Tinto, which was their first wet and snottery walk :wink:

My little one started spending more hours in the gym after this (she's on an elite gymnastics pathway) so we couldn't get out as a family as often. Sunday is her only day 'off' and we felt it wasn't particularly fair to be pushing her on her rest day.

As she's got older though, her energy has also increased, and we found ourselves at the top of Ben Lomond on a bright but snowy November two years ago.

Again we had a short hiatus - big one enjoyed a few leg stretchers with her Dad, but the call of the hills is too much for me and after years of seeing Meikle Bin from my house and attempting to identify it, we headed up a few weeks ago which has massively whetted my appetite again. I am desperate to walk Schiehallion but the boulder field gives my husband the fear. Also my wee one has competitions and camps and I always have the fear of a fall at the back of my mind.

So this weekend we are going to 'pop' up Ben A'an. My husband is a photographer and is a sucker for a good view. I'd rather amble up a munro but I've heard this is a pretty hill and not too long a walk for the kids.

I'm glad to be part of this site now - please brace yourselves for lots of questions - the first one I have is what is the nearest pub/hotel for the all important post walk full fat coke? :lol:
Jen McG
Hill Bagger

Re: Good morning from a shy newbie

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi Jen

this pub is not far away - http://www.theladeinn.com/

Schiehallion, by the way, is quite bouldery near the top, but most of the ascent is on a good path.

for a good Munro route to do with kids, this is worth considering

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87810

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Sgurr » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:18 pm

You might want to holiday in the Lake District if you want a pub at the bottom of every hill.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Stokesy75 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:10 am

Hi Jen

We are also a family of 4 also with 2 daughters aged 14 and nine,my girls are usually reluctant to climb another hill also,but we have completed Schiehallion and Ben Ghlas,as four and the eldest and i done the Tarmachan ridge in April,bringing my tally to 11 so far and hoping for more in October hols,but starting to get further afield from home in Fife.

Back to Schiehallion,the boulder field does require some patience and focus,but no different to kids jumping over rocks at the beach,my advice would be start your walk early so in event of a twisted ankle or slower pace you still have sufficient time to summit,enjoy the magical views and get back down,i always prefer to do all my hikes this way,leaves time margin should anything go wrong.

Get out and enjoy before the kids are too big and don't want to hang out with Mum & Dad up a hill.....that's my fear anyway haha.
Cheers Craig
Stokesy75
Munro compleatist

Munros:28   Corbetts:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...