walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Clachnaben

Clachnaben

Postby alanandcarolann » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Hello there,
My wife and I have come back to hill walking after a good number of years of pursuing other interests. We are both in our sixties but have had dogs for years so are quite used to walking reasonable distances albeit more often on the flat. We recently completed Clachnaben and were disappointed that it appears not to be included on the list of Marilyns. Forgive my ignorance in these matters but is there any specific reason why it is not included.
alanandcarolann
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   Corbetts:7
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   Islands:8

Re: Clachnaben

Postby prog99 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:09 am

Its to do with the prominence (150m or more) which it doesn't have. http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=S&rf=6125
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby alanandcarolann » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:46 am

Thanks for your prompt reply and again pardon my ignorance but when I click on that link I am unable to find any kind of explanation as to what that actually means. (The prominence of 150 mtrs)
alanandcarolann
Hill Bagger

Postby KatTai » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 am

alanandcarolann wrote:Thanks for your prompt reply and again pardon my ignorance but when I click on that link I am unable to find any kind of explanation as to what that actually means. (The prominence of 150 mtrs)

There needs to be a drop of 150 metres or more on all sides, the drop for Clachnaben is only 53 metres.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby alanandcarolann » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:51 am

Thank you for explaining that. I now understand the prominence significance, although it does seem a little harsh that all that effort is not rewarded or recognised.
alanandcarolann
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...