walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello from Colorado, USA

Hello from Colorado, USA

Postby MyrtleLove » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Good day to you from Colorado, USA! I am planning a 1 month family vacation to Scotland this summer. This site is a fantastic resource for planning our trip. I truly appreciate all the information folks are providing. Thank you!

Being from the US, I am struggling with understanding the Scotland Outdoor Access Code, Land Reform Act 2003. I have been reading this forum and information on the website for outdooraccess-scotland.scot. Several of the paths I am reviewing don't have clear parking at the trail heads, require walking through gates (presumably owned by someone), and walking through what seems to be private property. I am hoping to gain some clarification on things that seem quite different from US norms.

Do you really go through the gates onto what might be someone else's property in order to complete the hikes? Do you pull off on the roadside for parking? I do realize the passing sections on the one lane roads are not parking areas, but then do you look for a not so soggy grassy area for parking? If you can help me understand some of the norms of your Land Reform Act, I would appreciate it. I apologize for what might seem like silly questions, but in the US we sell our No Trespassing signs in bulk and staple them all along property borders, we fight fiercely over water rights, and have very serious gun issues. I just want to better understand expectations in Scotland.
MyrtleLove
Munro compleatist

Re: Hello from Colorado, USA

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:52 pm

MyrtleLove wrote:Good day to you from Colorado, USA! I am planning a 1 month family vacation to Scotland this summer. This site is a fantastic resource for planning our trip. I truly appreciate all the information folks are providing. Thank you!

Being from the US, I am struggling with understanding the Scotland Outdoor Access Code, Land Reform Act 2003. I have been reading this forum and information on the website for outdooraccess-scotland.scot. Several of the paths I am reviewing don't have clear parking at the trail heads, require walking through gates (presumably owned by someone), and walking through what seems to be private property. I am hoping to gain some clarification on things that seem quite different from US norms.

Do you really go through the gates onto what might be someone else's property in order to complete the hikes? Do you pull off on the roadside for parking? I do realize the passing sections on the one lane roads are not parking areas, but then do you look for a not so soggy grassy area for parking? If you can help me understand some of the norms of your Land Reform Act, I would appreciate it. I apologize for what might seem like silly questions, but in the US we sell our No Trespassing signs in bulk and staple them all along property borders, we fight fiercely over water rights, and have very serious gun issues. I just want to better understand expectations in Scotland.

Basically a bit of mutual respect goes a long way. Yes you can cross private property, as in moors, fields, forests, etc. But don't go near people's homes or gardens. Don't camp near houses, or even within sight of them. Keep your voice down, as in, don't SHOUT LIKE A TEXAN! Please leave your guns at home. Relax and enjoy yourself. Oh, and the word "fanny" means something else in Scotland...
Loch Gary#2.jpg
Welcome to Scotland...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Arthurs Eat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:56 pm

As Caberfeidh says, the watchwords arei common sense. You can generally cross any land as long as your not making a nuisance of yourself. Don't walk through (thru!) peoples gardens, across farmers crops or any avoid any other activity going on that your presence would cause problems. Close gates behind you, don't let dogs near sheep, be friendly towards friendly walkers and you should be fine. Let us know how you get on.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby MyrtleLove » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:23 am

Ok - thank you for the responses. It is so contrary to USA 'common sense', but I do appreciate that Scotland provides such open access to the country. We are starting our 32 day tour of Scotland in July 2020. I look forward to posting pics of our walks/runs throughout our tour. We will be visiting Shetland, Orkney, Harris and Lewis, and the other usual suspects. I promise we will not do anything to bring shame. :)
MyrtleLove
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi there and a warm welcome to WH, enjoy your 32 day stay in Scotland, you have already said your visiting the Outer Hebrides, make sure you go North of Ullapool on the Scottish Mainland and maybe find time to visit Skye and Raasay. Hope the weather Gods are favourable and I look forward to seeing your photographs👍😁
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...