walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

First winter

First winter

Postby Chucky121 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Hi all. I’ve just started to venture up the hills over the last year I’ve completed 7 so far ( Ben Lomand, Ben Vorlich, Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnain, Convial, Ben More Assynt, Ben Klibreck and Also a few Corbett. I’m thinking of venturing out this weekend hoping to catch the snow. Would you guys recommend doing a winter ascent of one I have currently completed to get a bit experience rather than try a new mountain. Cheers Stephen
Chucky121
Munro compleatist

Munros:7   

Re: First winter

Postby jmarkb » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:32 pm

Welcome to WH!

Not a bad idea to give yourself some confidence in winter conditions on familiar ground. But equally you could choose a new hill that is a reasonably short day without any steep terrain.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Coop » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:00 am

Remember to keep checking the weather. Have a few hills/ routes planned and be prepared to change at the last minute. Maybe go up one with a half decent approach track/path, although these will be probably be icy. Also you could pick one of the more popular ones where you know there will be others on the hill Might need some hardware. It's no good in the boot of the car when you need it.
Remember when it gets dark and dont be afraid to turn back if conditions change rapidly.
Oh, and take a head torch and spare batteries, just in case!
Above all, enjoy it and hope you have some good views from the summit. Its great seeing all the tops covered in white
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Chucky121 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Cheers for replies. Always keep an eye on weather through the week. And it always seems to change the day before. No much luck 😬
Chucky121
Munro compleatist

Munros:7   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...