walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Thunder forecasts

Thunder forecasts

Postby Barnsey » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:18 am

Maybe I’m being over-cautious, but ditching planned walk up Ben Nevis today as MWIS forecast a low risk of thunderstorms.

Being the highest point on a mountain if a storm does develop doesn’t sound great - does it?

Hard friends - am I being too soft? 😏
Barnsey
Mountaineer

Re: Thunder forecasts

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:32 pm

Having been out in a thunder storm and feeling electric current come up my arms through my sticks and wondering if I should just leave them and counting the seconds between the flash and the bang to find out how far away it was, and finding there WERE no seconds between the flash and the bang, so it was overhead, and comparing the waterfall on the way up (right) and down(left) I would say you weren't too careful. Who knows..... it could have gone somewhere else, leaving you feeling foolish. But why spoil a super day worrying the whole time?

Below, earlier. Is that jsut a black cloud or something worse
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 am

Lightning is a serious danger out in the hills, there was a nasty incident in the Alps when a large number of climbers were struck by lightning, some died, some were badly burned and some were paralysed temorarily, and had to be give articial respiration by their colleagues as they had stopped breathing due to the paralysis. I knew a gamekeeper near Braemar who was struck whilst out on the hill, he carried on but was struck again, so took to his bed for a few days.
Whilst camping in the Western Isles my mate Big Dave From Newcastle and I were lying in a tent watching an electrical storm getting closer and closer. I suggested moving the pile of steel billy cans away from the tent.
Big Dave picked them up and scurried off to a nearby hillock.
He called back, "Will I just dump them here?"
I replied, "No, hold them above your head!"
He threw them away and dived head first into his sleeping bag as a lightning bolt arced between cliff and cloud behind him. It's a jungle out there.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby LoveWalking » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:12 pm

Barnsey wrote:am I being too soft?

No, I think you made the correct decision. Some useful info here:
https://www.mountaineering.scot/safety-and-skills/essential-skills/weather-conditions/lightning
LoveWalking
Wanderer

Munros:40   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:8+4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:11   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...