walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

New member - starting small.

New member - starting small.

Postby Brian94 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:43 am

Morning all!

Hope you're all keeping well.

My name is Brian (AKA Bri) and I am new to the site and forum. I see a lot of very experienced walkers and mountaineers here, and I am looking to get started, by starting small!

A background on me... I'm 25 years old and unfit. I've done 2 Munros in the past 2 years for charity, Ben Lomond and Ben Nevis, and every time I think about it I have very fond memories. I was restricted because I couldn't drive and couldn't get out and about, but now, I can go anywhere 8)

I plan to do a few sub-2000s and work on my fitness and preparation a little then start bagging Munros again!

Any suggestion on easy Munros would be greatly appreciated! I'm not opposed to doing Ben Lomond again as I know it's relatively easy!

Oh! I will try and do as many walk reports as I can, and maybe look at starting a blog :D

Bri
Brian94
Hill Bagger

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Re: New member - starting small.

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:40 pm

Welcome to WH!

There are a couple of useful lists of easier Munros here: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/our-pick-10-of-the-easier-munros and here: https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/10easy.html

Looking forward to reading your reports!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Brian94 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:24 pm

Hello jmarkb,

Thank you for your help! I will keep you all posted. Going to start off with a sub-2000er in Dumyat and look at some trails over there, bearing in mind I am unfit at the moment!

Look forward to posting more.

Thanks,

Bri
Brian94
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:15 pm

Don't restrict yourself; go for hikes through long Cairngorm glens, over wild hilly islands and along rugged lochsides. Big hills are all very well but often lack wildness, with car parks and waymarked paths. Aviemore to the Linn O'Dee, Sligachan to Camasunary, the Lairig Gartain to wherever that was we got to, etc...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Wee Mum » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi Bri,
We are fairly new to the Munro Bagging set too. My husband and I have recently bagged our #5 in Ben Ime, which was tough going, but well do-able. The initial path across from Car Park on A83 at Succoth,, is deffo the worst part, in the steep, zigzagging ascent but it is a good warm up for the legs to get you on your way - also, if you aren’t ready for Ben Ime, you could always veer left and claim the Cobbler (Ben Arthur).
The path is great fun with all the steps and fords and the scenery as you get further up, is simply out of this world. We plan to head back that way soon to take on Ben Narnain which you can also access from the same path.

We also found Ben Chonzie a pleasurable climb. It was steep and strenuous at times but a good one for beginners like us. It’s a beautiful part of the country and you’re guaranteed to see some form of wildlife such as hares, deer, voles, lizards, red squirrel and various birds, big and small. We also met a wee frog at the summit, which I found a bit odd? Not sure how he got up there - possibly dropped by a bird who didn’t like the taste?

Enjoy,

The WeeMum 🌞
Wee Mum
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   
Islands:3

Postby Brian94 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:40 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Don't restrict yourself; go for hikes through long Cairngorm glens, over wild hilly islands and along rugged lochsides. Big hills are all very well but often lack wildness, with car parks and waymarked paths. Aviemore to the Linn O'Dee, Sligachan to Camasunary, the Lairig Gartain to wherever that was we got to, etc...

Oh how I would love to, it all sounds so amazing... however I lack the experience to undertake such task just yet! I hope to appreciate the trails and hikes very soon!
Brian94
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby Brian94 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:48 pm

Wee Mum wrote:Hi Bri,
We are fairly new to the Munro Bagging set too. My husband and I have recently bagged our #5 in Ben Ime, which was tough going, but well do-able. The initial path across from Car Park on A83 at Succoth,, is deffo the worst part, in the steep, zigzagging ascent but it is a good warm up for the legs to get you on your way - also, if you aren’t ready for Ben Ime, you could always veer left and claim the Cobbler (Ben Arthur).
The path is great fun with all the steps and fords and the scenery as you get further up, is simply out of this world. We plan to head back that way soon to take on Ben Narnain which you can also access from the same path.

We also found Ben Chonzie a pleasurable climb. It was steep and strenuous at times but a good one for beginners like us. It’s a beautiful part of the country and you’re guaranteed to see some form of wildlife such as hares, deer, voles, lizards, red squirrel and various birds, big and small. We also met a wee frog at the summit, which I found a bit odd? Not sure how he got up there - possibly dropped by a bird who didn’t like the taste?

Enjoy,

The WeeMum 🌞

Hello The WeeMum,

Thanks for the suggestions, all of which sound amazing! The plan in my head at the moment is to hit a few smaller hills/mountains for the moment. I done Dumyat on Sunday which was nice and easy, even at my low fitness level and high weight... maybe I underestimated myself. It was worth the journey though, lovely sweeping views over the neighbouring towns/villages and a great view of the Trossachs in the distance.

Next, on Friday, I am going to go some walking through the Pentlands and see what I can see, then it's Tinto hill on Sunday. After then I feel I will take on some Munros, and start off by bagging a familiar one in Ben Lomond, then onto Ben Chonzie like you suggest!... The list is endless. :)

The goal is to meet the Big Grey Man of Macdui by the end of the summer...
Brian94
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby Wee Mum » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:11 pm

All that needs to be said is

Enjoy !!!

Wee Mum
Wee Mum
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...