walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hillwalking vs Mountaineering

Hillwalking vs Mountaineering

Postby Corbett Munro » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi all! I love the mountains, especially here in Scotland. But am I a mountaineer? Not really, more a hillwalker than a mountaineer. I’ve climbed 32 Munros so far, and I registered on here to keep a better record of my outdoorsy efforts. I also thought I might learn a thing or two from more experienced walkers.

I like the idea of bagging Munros, Corbetts and Grahams but it’s not the primary motivator for me to head to the hills. I just love a good mountain, whatever the size. It’s the views, the fresh mountain air and the wildlife that calls me back, time and time again. I’m no good at rock climbing and rarely do more than a grade 1 scramble. I wish I could overcome my fear of heights, as this would take my outdoor experience to a new level and open up new adventures. I’m more Alfred Wainwright than Bear Grylls. That said, I did my first ultramarathon last year (along the West Highland Way), so there’s life in me yet! Made it to Glencoe (72 miles) so I’m itching to give it another go and reach Fort William. In 2010 I walked the entire route in 7 days, so 72 miles in 26 hours was progress for me. I’ve also walked the Great Glen Way, Affric Kintail Way and 3 Lochs Way. I would love to find the time to explore all the islands too. The wish list goes on. Scotland has so much to offer.
Corbett Munro
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:6
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:11   

Re: Hillwalking vs Mountaineering

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:16 pm

I crawled up my first hill part of the way, my head for heights was so awful. Don't assume it's a given and won't improve. It is something that grows on you with practice. T
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...