walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Helvetestinden

Helvetestinden

Postby litljortindan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:09 pm

Date walked: 02/08/2002

Time taken: 5

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 602m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On the map this looked a fairly leisurely option after our big day on Hermansdalstinden. However, the sketchy path south from Kjerkfjorden was either overgrown or non-existent as we had to more and more find our own way along the coast which also got more and more bouldery.
Quite a steep ascent to the 400m bealach through bracken and boulders wasn't exactly easy going either but soon over and made more bearable by the steadily unfolding views. The peaks overlooking Kjerkfjorden village looked particularly dramatic -large vertical walls jutting out of the flat surrounds.
An easy walk up the ridge to the Helvetestinden summit followed but the connecting ridges beyond looked better left admired than tackled -indeed I later read that the onward route is difficult and unpleasant on step, loose and exposed ground. Not my cup of tea!

view from the magical Reine ferry -Helvetestinden the leftmost peak

a closer view shows some of the boulders we'd soon be wandering through

looking south east to Seiltinden, the peak that dominates the east side of the fjord

the string of peaks behind Kjerkfjorden village

the struggle up through the boulders to the beallach is eased by the unfolding wonderful views, this one east to Seiltinden

at last, up on to the bealach, ready to head north

surreal vertcial walls rise up from the flat surrounds

towards Reine

Imageimg040 by John Little, on Flickr

Imageimg039 by John Little, on Flickr
View south east back down the ascent ridge.

Imageimg022 by John Little, on Flickr
Dramatic walls and ridges beyond to the west.

Imageimg021 by John Little, on Flickr

Imageimg049 by John Little, on Flickr

view down to the beach at Bunes -possibly the more usual starting point

Imageimg041 by John Little, on Flickr
On the way back down.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Helvetestinden

Postby jacob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Wow, we're/we've been in Norway at about the same time. Great to see Lofoten pictures, an area very much on my to do list, and so different from the places I've been. Looks lovely!
Can we expect more posts to come soon?
I've just finished one and there's more to come, if you're interested.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Good grief!

Spectacular hardly describes it! Always hoped to get to Lofoten, maybe one day. Just back from further south on the Swedish border myself, amazing country (Femunden/Rogen, canoeing)
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:18 pm

jacob wrote:Wow, we're/we've been in Norway at about the same time. Great to see Lofoten pictures, an area very much on my to do list, and so different from the places I've been. Looks lovely!

Got a few more bits and pieces to write about but all from 2000-2014 -some on here already. Do have plans for more if I am lucky enough to see those through.
Yes, will have a look at your trip -always interested in Norway reports.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Good grief!

Spectacular hardly describes it! Always hoped to get to Lofoten, maybe one day. Just back from further south on the Swedish border myself, amazing country (Femunden/Rogen, canoeing)

I've got the Lennon (I think) book on Scandinavia that covers Norway and Sweden so maybe Sweden for me one day too but definitely would like to go back to Lofoten and Senja (bit further to the north).
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby jacob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:54 pm

litljortindan wrote:
jacob wrote:Wow, we're/we've been in Norway at about the same time. Great to see Lofoten pictures, an area very much on my to do list, and so different from the places I've been. Looks lovely!

Got a few more bits and pieces to write about but all from 2000-2014 -some on here already. Do have plans for more if I am lucky enough to see those through.
Yes, will have a look at your trip -always interested in Norway reports.

Oops silly me. It was only after I showed your report to the mrs, that I realised the actual walk was in 2002. My bad.
Your other reports I already read and enjoyed multiple times, in preparation for our visit to Norway.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby dav2930 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:35 pm

What a stunning place! Those huge sweeps of granite had me drooling. Looks like a rock climber's paradise. Is the weather always as nice as that?
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby litljortindan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:18 pm

dav2930 wrote:What a stunning place! Those huge sweeps of granite had me drooling. Looks like a rock climber's paradise. Is the weather always as nice as that?

Been over a few times in June (best), July (flies) and August (overgrown paths) and got at least a week of fine, settled weather on each of half a dozen trips there. Also useful to know that there are two mountain huts on Moskenesoya (and more in other parts of Lofoten) at Munkebu and Selfjord:
http://www.68north.com/outdoors/mountain-huts/

You might find this interesting:
https://www.raf.mod.uk/rafmountaineering/rafcms/mediafiles/349710C8_1143_EC82_2E2FE1CA19A0A380.pdf

There's also a book called Climbing in The Magic Islands by Ed Webster which would seem to be the climber's bible for Lofoten, or at least it was in the past. I hasten to add that I don't climb.

For scrambling there's some useful stuff in P. Lennon's Scandinavian Mountains, Graeme Cornwallis's Norway and Ian Robertson's Walks and Scrambles in Norway. And www.westcoastpeaks.com is worth looking at too.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby dav2930 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 am

Thanks very much for the info. I would certainly be tempted to visit the Lofotens, especially as it seems the weather is quite reliable, at least in your experience! :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Graeme D » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:24 pm

Sums it up pretty nicely!

I just went browsing on the Outside of Scotland section and appear to have stumbled across some sort of Paradise on Earth! :shock: 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 am

Gosh - what a sensational surreally beautiful place! Hard to believe it's so far north!

I can see why folk go back again and again to Norway.

Thanks for posting :thumbup: (must have been enjoyable for you also to relive that experience through writing the report 15 years later).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Graeme D wrote:

Sums it up pretty nicely!

I just went browsing on the Outside of Scotland section and appear to have stumbled across some sort of Paradise on Earth! :shock: 8)

I think I first saw a photo of Lofoten in 2000 and it was only one photo and in a library book. That was the only information I could find about the place then but I kept looking at that one picture in disbelief and determined that I'd get there one day. First visited the same year in fact so didn't have to wait too long! In retrospect I wish I had returned every year since but another five trips there is not too bad and more to follow hopefully.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:22 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Gosh - what a sensational surreally beautiful place! Hard to believe it's so far north!

I can see why folk go back again and again to Norway.

Thanks for posting :thumbup: (must have been enjoyable for you also to relive that experience through writing the report 15 years later).

Yes, writing up the walk did help me to relive it and brought back memories of that particular day and other parts of that trip. I'd go there all the time if I could afford it but it is definitely in the bracket of occasional luxury.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:17 pm

I love Lofoten - it's marvellous to see the scenery of Moskenesoya which I need to get back to sometime!

Previous visit was with family, so I only climbed one hill, Stortinden (I did another good hill on the mainland, in the far north near Alta). I found no path on Stortinden, just a matter of scrambling up the rocks and boulders, but well worth it for the extraordinary view back to the endless wall of peaks lining the mainland. Much like looking back from Skye to the Scottish mainland, except everything is twice as steep!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby litljortindan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:48 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:I love Lofoten - it's marvellous to see the scenery of Moskenesoya which I need to get back to sometime!

Previous visit was with family, so I only climbed one hill, Stortinden (I did another good hill on the mainland, in the far north near Alta). I found no path on Stortinden, just a matter of scrambling up the rocks and boulders, but well worth it for the extraordinary view back to the endless wall of peaks lining the mainland. Much like looking back from Skye to the Scottish mainland, except everything is twice as steep!

Tim

I looked up Stortinden (near Ramberg I assume?) which looks quite a hill. Does make me think oh no not another one to think about as well though! As it is I have a short list of hills in the north I'd like to get to but I haven't managed any since 2008. One day...
litljortindan
Ambler

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland