walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aira Force and Gowbarrow Fell

Aira Force and Gowbarrow Fell

Postby lauramacn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:36 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Gowbarrow Fell

Date walked: 12/03/2018

Time taken: 2

Distance: 6.53 km

Ascent: 698m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been planning a trip to the lakes for a few month but upon setting off from Edinburgh I was driving into the rain!
My destination was Aira Force waterfall - I had visited many times before but never had the opportunity for an extended walk.
I'd found a route in a walking guide book and after arriving and parking up I headed into the rain.
Starting from the car park I followed the route through the old Yew trees, keeping the river to my right until I came to the bottom bridge.
I then crossed over and followed the river on my left until I reached the sign for Gowbarrow Fell.
It had become wet, windy and misty and I wasn't sure if it was going to be worth making the summit but the weather changed and allowed me to get to the top. Views were better on the way up, as by the time I got to the Trig Point the weather closed in again and obscured the views.
The original walking route I was following was a circular route but as I was concerned about the wind and mist I decided to retrace my steps and headed back the same way.
All in all a nice wee wander with the reward of Aira Force Waterfall and some clear views on the way to the top or Gowbarrow.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

lauramacn
Mountaineer

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   Islands:24
Walk wish-list

Re: Aira Force and Gowbarrow Fell

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi Laura,

None of your pics are showing for me...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland