walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Failed to outflank the Spanish Inquisition. Puig des Teix

Failed to outflank the Spanish Inquisition. Puig des Teix

Postby ridgerunner » Fri May 25, 2018 11:07 pm

Date walked: 21/05/2018

Time taken: 4

Distance: 12.6 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

puig des Teix.jpg

Having got into trouble two years ago for not having organised a pass for the Archduke's path in Mallorca , i thought i would be clever this time and climb PdT , which starts from a different part of Valdemossa, then continue along the Archduke's path then finish in valdemossa at the point where i started last time. An anticlockwise circuit.
IMG_0673.JPG
Starting point

The tall italian cypresses are easy to see from afar helping to find the start.
Then followed a long easy climb up the valley keeping a very steady gradient initially but getting very steep near the refuge at head of the valley.
I had hoped to turn off at the Font des Polls and then zigzag up the Serra des Carrats mule track to the edge of the escarpment to the top of PdT , but although i saw a turn off , i thought it was blocked by rockfall so followed the main route which crossed to the other side of the valley after passing a refuge at about 800metres. Pathed all the way and when met a T junction turned right towards PdT.
IMG_0674.JPG
Looking back across the valley to where i missed a turn off

IMG_0675.JPG
private- no entry

Everybody ignores this locked stile which is easy to cross but it is not useless as it reassures one is on the right trail.
Took four pics from the summit.
IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

There was very little cloud at this stage and i headed towards the Archduke's path.
IMG_0682.JPG
Looking back to PdT

Unfortunately the views from the Archduk's path were poor as is often the case due to cloud rolling up the edge of the escarpment. Pleasant walk though.
IMG_0680.JPG

Then descended to Valdemossa and bumped into some Brits who had discovered that walkers DESCENDING the route are also checked for the official pass!!!
As per my last visit i lost track of the preferred route on the way down but it seems to have been changed since 2016. Luckily on reaching the ticket hut at the bottom , found out that it was open access that day , but normally a pass is still required.
I dont understand why all my pics are rotated by 90 degree when they are properly orientated on my Pc. I uploaded them from my Iphone.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland