walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scafell pike - with a persevering 8 yr old

Scafell pike - with a persevering 8 yr old

Postby bargee » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Date walked: 15/09/2018

Time taken: 8

Distance: 20 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A simple out and back route up to Scafell Pike from Dungeon Ghyll in Great Langdale.

This was my final training walk before going to Africa in October to trek up killimanjaro, I was joined by Luke Ambler ( the founder of Andys man club ) his 8 year old son and their labrador daisy.

A late start due to traffic meant that we only got going up Mickleden at 11am and were passed by several runners in the Cumbria way Ultra that was ongoing, and we cheered them past.

The steep climb of Rosset Ghyll was long, as always and headed up into the cloud and mizzle but we were lucky with the weather that we only got one heavy shower as we reached the wind shelter at Esk Hawse.

I've always avoided Scafell pike due to the number of people on it and the bragging about it when i much prefer to be on the quieter fells, but if i am doing a round of the wainwrights i would have to climb it so had decided today would be the rght day as training for the bigger trek next month.

the difficult bit that really held us up was the boulder fields and we took a long time to traverse them on Broad crag and Ill crag and this led to us only getting to the top at 4pm, but had good chats with 3 girls from Stockport and a group of fell runners who were scouting out the routes for a bob graham round attempt later in september.

Getting to the summit that late was a mistake and as the leader of our small group, i should have realised much earlier and turned back and maybe just climbed Great End or Esk pike, but i got summit fever too and had to get there.
The summit was just cloud but as we came off back towards Esk Hawse we got a great view down Borrowdale almost to Keswick across Derwentwater. and the cloud was whipping round the summit of Allen crags and great end and also gave us a great view of Angle tarn as we dropped back to Rosset pass.

The decent was easier but Luke son was flagging and slowed us up, but we got down Rosset ghyll without too much complaining and tears, as it was going dark and walked the 2 miles back to dungeon ghyll by torchlight getting back by 8.15pm
A great day out but a lesson in timing that i need to learn and be more aware if i am leading a walk again with less experienced walkers.

bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

Re: Scafell pike - with a persevering 8 yr old

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:50 pm

I think we've all underestimate the time it will take to complete a walk and either our own fitness or that of one of the members of the team. Well done for being prepared with a torch, and on getting everyone down safely again.

Scafell pike is a great walk, we did the corridor route a few years ago from Seathwaite, it was virtually empty until we got near the top when there were a few more souls around. We headed back via Broad Crag. It was a fantastic walk.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland