walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

SmugMug/Flickr bandits - go Pro or lose your images.

SmugMug/Flickr bandits - go Pro or lose your images.


by trailmasher » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Ling Fell, Sale Fell

Date walked: 11/01/2019

Time taken: 2.49

Distance: 9.74 km

Ascent: 523m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).


Re: SmugMug/Flickr bandits - go Pro or lose your images.

Postby Salfordwhite » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:03 am

Sgurr wrote:
trailmasher wrote:Being from God's own county I don't like parting with well earned brass


We have friends from GOC. We ate out one holiday and they both ate sausages and mash, the cheapest thing on the menu. "Was it nice?" "Not very" Then the next night it was still the cheapest on the menu, so they had it again. We both get the same pension, so we are baffled. I suspect the glow they have from saving the money outweighs any disgust at the menu choice. Maybe you can explain.

Apparently we are known for being stubborn too.
Though "There's nowt as queer as folk" might cover it too.
Hope this helps :D
Salfordwhite
Walker
 
Posts: 59
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:131   
Joined: Apr 11, 2012
Location: Salford

Re: SmugMug/Flickr bandits - go Pro or lose your images.

Postby trailmasher » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:58 pm

Pointless Parasite wrote:Thanks, just what I needed. Hopefully I will climb these two on Saturday. I was thinking of doing the Winlatter fells first, which means crossing the bog South of Ling Fell :roll:


Don't know what's going on here PP 'cause this is dated 5 days before you posted it to me previously :crazy: a comment that I replied to Mmm :? 8)
User avatar
trailmasher
Walker
 
Posts: 1056
Munros:11   
Hewitts:180
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Nov 26, 2014
Location: Near Appleby - Cumbria

Re: SmugMug/Flickr bandits - go Pro or lose your images.

Postby goingforawii » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:20 pm

trailmasher wrote:
goingforawii wrote:Nice report.

I use imgur at the mo - it’s currently free. There’s some silly stat that around 70% of images on the internet are hosted by imgur. I may have read that wrong... but it means it’ll probably always be free for Jo Bloggs.

It’s not as functional as Flickr. When you upload photos to an album for example, it’s not done in date taken or filename order - but for a scaled down version to embed/link to a forum it’s fine.


Thanks for your comments, advice and tips GFW, much appreciated :D :D :clap: TBH I've never heard of it but will now check it out and give it a burst with a few photos and a dummy run on WH :thumbup: Again thanks for your comments :D



Not sure if you've had chance to review imgur but the site has been updated over the last week - and it's more functional now. You can now sort the album in filename order and then produce BBCodes for multiple images all the same time. It's still free too...
User avatar
goingforawii
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 89
Munros:127   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:14   
Joined: Nov 15, 2017
Location: Birmingham

Re: SmugMug/Flickr bandits - go Pro or lose your images.

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:58 pm

I've now moved all but about 900 images to a mix of imgbox (not very convenient), imgur (also not very convenient), and imgbb (very convenient).

We'll see how it goes... I'll report back if any problems.

It was quite a hassle (I needed to download the Flickr images since I'd done a lot of editing within Flickr), though much compensated for through reading through and looking at the pics in old reports :D .
User avatar
Alteknacker
Scrambler
 
Posts: 2469
Munros:162   Corbetts:28
Hewitts:190
Wainwrights:71   
Joined: May 25, 2013
Location: Effete South (of WIgan, anyway)

Re: SmugMug/Flickr bandits - go Pro or lose your images.

Postby trailmasher » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:23 pm

goingforawii wrote:
trailmasher wrote:
goingforawii wrote:Nice report.

I use imgur at the mo - it’s currently free. There’s some silly stat that around 70% of images on the internet are hosted by imgur. I may have read that wrong... but it means it’ll probably always be free for Jo Bloggs.

It’s not as functional as Flickr. When you upload photos to an album for example, it’s not done in date taken or filename order - but for a scaled down version to embed/link to a forum it’s fine.


Thanks for your comments, advice and tips GFW, much appreciated :D :D :clap: TBH I've never heard of it but will now check it out and give it a burst with a few photos and a dummy run on WH :thumbup: Again thanks for your comments :D



Not sure if you've had chance to review imgur but the site has been updated over the last week - and it's more functional now. You can now sort the album in filename order and then produce BBCodes for multiple images all the same time. It's still free too...


Had a quick look at it but not had time to suss it out properly yet. Thanks for the heads up on the update :)
User avatar
trailmasher
Walker
 
Posts: 1056
Munros:11   
Hewitts:180
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Nov 26, 2014
Location: Near Appleby - Cumbria

Re: SmugMug/Flickr bandits - go Pro or lose your images.

Postby trailmasher » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I've now moved all but about 900 images to a mix of imgbox (not very convenient), imgur (also not very convenient), and imgbb (very convenient).

We'll see how it goes... I'll report back if any problems.


Thanks very much AK :thumbup: much appreciation for the info and will check out imgbb 8) and well done for taking on such a forced and onerous task of migrating your images :clap:
User avatar
trailmasher
Walker
 
Posts: 1056
Munros:11   
Hewitts:180
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Nov 26, 2014
Location: Near Appleby - Cumbria

Re: SmugMug/Flickr bandits - go Pro or lose your images.

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 pm

trailmasher wrote: and well done for taking on such a forced and onerous task of migrating your images :clap:


About 4500 of them :( .

But Yorkshiremen refuse to be blackmailed... :D

PS if you're interested, there are some little tricks that make using Imgur a bit easier (it's still not as good as Imgbb) - PM me if you would like me to send you details - I discovered them the hard way, so I may be able to save you a bit of time...
User avatar
Alteknacker
Scrambler
 
Posts: 2469
Munros:162   Corbetts:28
Hewitts:190
Wainwrights:71   
Joined: May 25, 2013
Location: Effete South (of WIgan, anyway)

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Previous



Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests