walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quickie up Holme Fell, the hard way

Quickie up Holme Fell, the hard way

Postby Jaxter » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Holme Fell

Date walked: 15/09/2020

Time taken: 1

Distance: 3.41 km

Ascent: 116m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous day - Evening on Helm Crag & friends

Cycle 12.47km, 262m ascent & 1 hour 15 mins

Another beautiful day where I was working, but was able to get out afterwards. Malky was off doing a big walk taking in most of the Lake District - I reckoned I might manage a small local one on the bike. I cycled out through Elterwater (more hilly than anticipated) along the road towards the big hill (bigger & steeper than expected) and found the track towards Hodge Close (tarmac, but steep). Unfortunately the tarmac ran out at High Oxen Fell and the next section was pretty rough.

I reached my turn-off just before Hodge Close and decided I could cycle a little further up - a couple watched me with surprise :lol: I left the bike just next to a giant hole in the ground

A decent path led steeply up

There were people swimming in the disused reservoirs as it was a really hot day 8)

It was a really stunning spot

Looking back, the views towards the Langdale Pikes were already fabulous (and I needed an excuse to stop for a break!)

Above the wee lochans there was a maze of paths all leading in vaguely the right direction. There were some squishy sections as I climbed higher and worked my way around the bracken

As I approached the top of the steepest section I met another walker - he said that the best views were from the left hand ridge, not the summit. I went to summit first - the views towards Coniston Water were already awesome 8)

The Pikes

Jaxtering on the summit of Holme Fell

Wetherlam

Langdale Pikes and wee lochans

Zoomed

Seat Sandal & Fairfield

I dropped off the summit and headed for the other ridge - despite being a wee hill, it was satisfyingly rocky!

The other summit had excellent views also, and I stopped for a short break - it was hot and I was shattered!

Time to go - I headed back down towards the wee lochans

Happy to be on a hill, even a wee one!

Wee lochan - the swimmers had all disappeared

Back at the bike it was time to cycle home - I couldn't face the track I'd come in on (too rough and steep) so took the track from Hodge Close out towards Little Langdale. It was steep in places but the ground was easier to cycle on.

I arrived back a sweaty mess but not feeling too awful, which was definitely a step in right direction 8)

[url-https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=100323]Next day - Black Fell & another hellish cycle[/url]
Attachments

Holme_Fell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

activity_5541201791.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Quickie up Holme Fell, the hard way

Postby Pointless Parasite » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:56 pm

:clap: Holme Fell is great, although you seem to have climbed it the easy way. There's a really nice grade 2 scramble up the South West corner, which is relatively safe and unexposed. The grade probably reflects the difficulty in route finding at some points. There's a huge cave somewhere round here with a scramble leading out to the surface. I was never able to find it, but I'm wondering if it's the same place where you left your bike.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:46 pm

One drunken night nearly sixty years ago I drove my moggy traveller along that track from Little Langdale over the ford to Hodge Close :shock: . It wasn't a good idea but we survived :lol: :lol: :lol: . The quarries are impressive, but NB In the Lake District they are "Tarns" not lochans - and not lakes either. There is just one lake in the Lake District (Same as in Scotland)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby Jaxter » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:42 am

Pointless Parasite wrote::clap: Holme Fell is great, although you seem to have climbed it the easy way. There's a really nice grade 2 scramble up the South West corner, which is relatively safe and unexposed. The grade probably reflects the difficulty in route finding at some points. There's a huge cave somewhere round here with a scramble leading out to the surface. I was never able to find it, but I'm wondering if it's the same place where you left your bike.

I suppose the "hard way" bit was more referring to the cycle rather than the walk, but after reading your comment I feel I ought to edit it - as you say, even for me and my useless post-covid fitness it was a very easy walk :lol: :lol: I loved how the the top of the hill felt - like a "real" mountain with all the rocks - perhaps I can return and try to find the scramble you mentioned - the cave bit sounds very cool 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland