walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ingleborough and Simon Fell

Ingleborough and Simon Fell

Postby woodie31 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:37 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Ingleborough, Simon Fell

Date walked: 06/05/2019

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 16.1 km

Ascent: 760m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ingleborough.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With my last three walks being in Wales, I decided to head North. So on Bank holiday Monday I made the 150 mile journey to the Yorkshire Dales to bag Ingleborough and Simon Fell.

Thank you to Chris G for the GPX file. :thumbup:

My starting point was the small village of Clapham just off the A65. There is a small amount of road parking in the village. However, there is a large car park at the visitors centre.(£2.50 up to 2 hours, £4.50 over 2 hours). There are also toilet facilities on site.

The forecast for the day, said light showers in the afternoon.

001.jpg
Clapham Church

Leaving the car park at 10.10, I headed North past the church following the signs for Ingleborough cave. As you enter the private grounds of Ingleborough Hall, you pass through a log cabin to pay a small fee of £1 for using the track. You are given a receipt, keep this safe if you intend to return the same way. Otherwise you will be paying another £1 to get out.
The track is broad and firm, it follows the beck through the forest, past the large lake and a disused stone chapel. After around 1 1/4 miles you reach Ingleborough Cave. Shortly afterwards the track turns into a path.

004.jpg
Old Chapel

013.jpg
stone bridge

012.jpg
Ingleborough Cave

A short distance after the bridge you reach Trow Gill, taking the narrow exit up the steep path to exit the ravine. This path is rocky in places.

018.jpg
Trow Gill

The path meets the wall and is crossed at a stile, Ingleborough comes into sight.
The part fenced area of Gaping Gill soon comes into view. Venturing down to take a couple of pictures, a few walkers where making up a tent and a family enjoying an early lunch. Fell Beck was virtually dry.

025.jpg
Gaping Gill

026.jpg
Fell Beck

027.jpg
Ingleborough from Gaping Gill

Leaving Gaping Gill, I made my way back to the path which consisted of flagstones and gravel and lead up to Little Ingleborough. Here the path continues North with you climbing steadily past a line of sink holes to the summit which is marked by a trig point.

034.jpg
Little Ingleborough

039.jpg
View from Ingleborough summit

Heading East from the trig point a main path descends to a wall with a gate stile. The wall has a barbed wire top. You need to go through the stile and keep the wall on your right to reach the summit of Simon Fell. The summit about half a mile from this stile is a little grassy mound marked with small stones.

047.jpg
Simon Fell looking towards Ingleborough

Looking over the wall in a southerly direction is a wall heading south. This wall was to be my handrail back towards Trow Gill. You can also follow part of this wall to Lords Seat.

A faint path takes you down towards Brunt Riggs and the Allotment. Keeping the wall on my left I quickly descended, with Gaping Gill coming into sight. I continued down the improved path and through a large metal gate. After a 100 yards or so a ladder stile crossed the stone wall, this path led down the hill to another gate. This was the man path. Turning right would take you towards Trow Gill. I went left, taking me towards Ingleborough Cave.

I was shortly back at the cabin. After showing my receipt from earlier, I left the private grounds and was soon back at my car, enjoying lunch and a brew.
woodie31
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:176
Wainwrights:75   

Re: Ingleborough and Simon Fell

Postby Alchik » Mon May 17, 2021 9:26 am

We walked this route this weekend, a decision that was made based at least in part on this write up.

One great advantage of this route is that with the exception of a few hundred yards near the summit you avoid the crowds doing the 3 peaks.
Alchik
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:14   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland