walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Green Bell and Friends

Green Bell and Friends

Postby martin.h » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:26 pm

Date walked: 17/07/2021

Time taken: 3.31

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 520m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another little visit to the Howgills and a repeat of a route we did last year this time including Hunthoof Pike.

Fantastic weather 8) but very warm :shock: so we decided not to go too far, we just wanted to get out and enjoy the peace and quiet of the Northern Howgills, take our time and immerse ourselves in the surroundings.

Tops visited:
Stwarth
Hunthoof Pike
Green Bell
Randygill Top
Hooksey

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We set off from home early just to make sure we could get parked without difficulty, as it turned out we were the only people about at 08:15 when we arrived.

We had clear blue skies and the slightest breeze which made it almost perfect, we got the boots on and were off by 08:30.

The start of the track up Green Bell is sign posted, it's easy to follow but does tend to become a bit vague around the bits that could be soggy, no threat of that today :D

It's a very gentle ascent to start with which was probably for the best considering how warm it was, not that we were complaining, it's rare to get these sort of conditions :D so we took it nice and steady.

The views are good.

There were a few sheep around that had escaped shearing, I've heard that it's not good for them, especially so late on in the year, shearing starts around the end of May/beginning of June any later they can get "fly strike" and with such thick fleeces it must be uncomfortable for the poor things in the heat :(

We wandered off track to do Hunthoof Pike, that was fun, especially over the tussocks, we were wobbling all over the place just like Weebles :lol:

The views from the cairn were worth it.

We set off from the cairn to regain the track and were soon on the summit of Green Bell.

Lovely day, lovely views

Ingleburger

Next on the agenda was Randygill Top, from Green Bell it's a nice steady plod to the top, steepening just before the summit.

On the way we saw a lonely wandering cloud :lol:

From the top the views are good, we couldn't go wrong today :D

Green Bell from Randygill Top

Next was Hooksey, the descent from Randygill Top down to Leathgill Bridge is steep, care is needed but the path zig zags to take the edge off the steepness. Once down and on the level we stopped for a break, it would have been a nice spot for lunch if we were later, we just had a snack then set off up the steepish climb onto Hooksey.

The ascent isn't bad at all, once on Hooksey we were treated to nice sunny views :D

We had a long break next to the cairn, it was lovely just to sit and look around, relax with no need to press on, from here all the ascent was behind us, all that was needed now was the easy walk down to the farm at Weasdale.

We set off from the cairn, on the good track. About 10 minutes from the summit we met our first and only fellow walkers, a quick hello and "aren't we lucky with the weather?" we continued.

The walk down to the road is steady away, it gets a bit steep just before the wall, on warm and tired legs we just took our time. Once on the road it's a gentle amble back to the car.

There's a nice little cottage on the way complete with Reliant Robin (or Kitten, couldn't quite make out which)
in the driveway :lol:

We could see our route down

We continued on a nice leafy lane.

Back at the car we took the boots off, sacks in the boot then sat down in the peace and quiet and had a little picnic :D

It was nice to be out in such good weather and in lovely surroundings, We're off to Scotland in a couple of weeks, I hope the weather holds out, now, that will be brilliant :D

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Green Bell and Friends

Postby trailmasher » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:18 pm

Nice one Martin.h and you chose a good place to be in these full of people LD times :clap: The Howgills from the west side has many routes to choose from with some lovely valleys to walk along also before making a climb out if one so desires. Again, good report and photos of a good day out. 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:18 pm

Hi TM
We're going to try somewhere new next time when we're out, I'm looking at Cross Fell, Little Dun Fell and Great Dun Fell in the day, haven't been up there for yonks :lol: I'm just trying to decide the best place to start from, Milburn looks likely or Kirkland, I just have to suss out the parking :roll:

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:35 pm

A lovely circuit for a not too strenuous day - i've done it many times following your route almost exactly . The Howgills look wonderfully green - and deserted :D :D . For a longer walk drop down Great Randy Gill into Bowderdale - it feels amazingly remote down there :D , follow the path to the Calf and return North along the ridge immediately W of Bowderdale
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby martin.h » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:57 pm

past my sell by date wrote:A lovely circuit for a not too strenuous day - i've done it many times following your route almost exactly . The Howgills look wonderfully green - and deserted :D :D . For a longer walk drop down Great Randy Gill into Bowderdale - it feels amazingly remote down there :D , follow the path to the Calf and return North along the ridge immediately W of Bowderdale

Thankyou, it is a nice quiet part of the Howgills that's for sure.
Your idea of extending the route is very much on the to do list, it looks nice. We've been down that way before and took in Langdale Knott, that's a bit off the beaten track but worth the effort.

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland