walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pen-y-ghent in snow and early morning gale

Pen-y-ghent in snow and early morning gale

Postby Rodhumphreys » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:47 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen-y-ghent

Date walked: 06/12/2021

Time taken: 2

Distance: 6 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

pen y ghent.jpg
Pen-y-ghent in December snow
pen y ghent.jpg
Pen-y-ghent in December snow

Snow had fallen overnight in advance of the walk up Pen-y-ghent from the East at Rainscar. Not too bad on the approach but really difficult up the teeth of the hill as the wind was whipping up the snow from the north, so straight into my face. It was till early so no tracks to follow in the snow. Made the summit in about 40 minutes and then started across to Plover Hill. Intense wind and cold with difficult underfoot conditions led to a decision to turn back in search of coffee and croissant. Not a day for long circulars so back down the way I had ascended. Which was interesting descending the teeth of the hill. Singing to myself as I worked my way down I came across a couple, with the young lady experiencing a ridge-fast moment, so between us and with a bit of support, we worked our way back up the teeth. Then back down again for me and in to Settle for that coffee. Plover Hill, Darnbrook and Fountains Fell can wait for a calmer day! Just over 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Rodhumphreys
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:154
Wainwrights:95   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland