walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Langdale: Side Pike and Lingmoor

Langdale: Side Pike and Lingmoor

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:55 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Lingmoor Fell

Date walked: 07/08/2020

Time taken: 2

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Side Pike and Lingmoor.

2020.08.07 wThe Langdale Pikes_E9964web.jpg
Looking back towards the Langdale Pikes from the top of the pass below Side Pike

This was a beautiful, if short walk. Side Pike is more than worth the effort and detour, giving excellent views of Langdale and the Pikes, with the fine walk up Lingmoor living up to its name, the knobbly summit ridge covered in flowering heather.

2020.08.07 wLooking south from Side Pike_9967web.jpg
Looking to the south from Side Pike

2020.08.07 wSide Pike Summit_9965web.jpg
Side Pike summit

The view from the summit of Side Pike is probably the better of the two, but both are good.

2020.08.07 wSide Pike and Langdale Pikes_9968web.jpg
Looking along the ridge of Lingmoor towards the summit of Side Pike and the Langdale Pikes

2020.08.07 wLingmoor Summit_9969web.jpg
Lingmoor summit cairn

It was an almost perfect little short walk to fit in before setting off to drive home. The only minor downside being that it is, essentially an "out and back" route, but one I'll happily do again. There is an alternative, more direct way off Side Pike towards Lingmoor, however there are also some very steep drops and the track isn't easy to pick up, if taken at all, it's a path probably better taken upwards from Lingmoor. The way that I took totally avoided the dangers that might have been posed by the cliffs (but then I was on my own and I'm nearly 70).

3.67 miles, 1367' feet, 2 hours.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland