walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ullswater: Loadpot Hill, Bonscale Pike and Arthur's Pike

Ullswater: Loadpot Hill, Bonscale Pike and Arthur's Pike

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arthur's Pike, Bonscale Pike, Loadpot Hill

Hewitts included on this walk: Loadpot Hill

Date walked: 05/08/2020

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 14.2 km

Ascent: 765m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Loadpot Hill, Bonscale Pike and Arthur's Pike

Not my finest hour! I had real difficulties in picking up the correct route, and, in fact, missed the start completely. Eventually, I realised that I'd traversed too far but thought that I could make out a footpath on the left of a dried out stream bed that led up to the summit of Brock Crags. It did, but it got increasingly steep and much of the grass/heather covered rock was loose. Then it started to bucket down! Going back down looked rather more unpleasant, and risky, than continuing up and I could see pretty much all the way to the top. It just needed considerable care and time. Not a route that I could recommend to anyone. When I did reach the top, of Brock Crag 559m, visibility was down to about 25m and I decided to resort to the GPS to confirm my location (phone a friend!). Walking on a bearing took me to the summit of Loadpot Hill 671m, the one familiar location of my day's walk. The paths from here to Bonscale Pike 524m were pretty good and straightforward, despite the continuing deluge and poor visibility (August weather!).

It's important to remember to aim for the sheep fold from here if Arthur's Pike 532m is to be included, as taking a direct line between the two as the Swarthbeck Gill is dangerous below the fold. The sheep fold is also the most pleasant place to stop for a bite to eat and a coffee. Although Wainwright advises that the walk shouldn't be attempted in mist, I found it quite straightforward by contouring south-east until I could see the sheepfold.
From here on the route is very straightforward, a good path to Arthur's Pike and then an excellent grass path through the heather down to the plantation and thence back to Swarthbeck and Ullswater. It was also as I was descending from Arthur's Pike that I dropped out of the mist and the rain stopped.

2020.08.05_9944w Arthurs Pike.jpg
Arthur's Pike summit cairn

2020.08.05_9948w Descent down towards Howtown.jpg
A view at last! On the descent down to Howtown

Not a walk I'll be doing again! Frankly following the route that I took back from Loadpot Hill in both directions would have been longer, but much safer and far more pleasant and enjoyable altogether!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Length: 8.79 miles 14.2 km Ascent: +765m -757m Naismith: 4h 6m
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland