walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scafells from Langdale

Scafells from Langdale

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:43 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great End, Rosset Pike, Scafell, Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Broad Crag, Great End, Ill Crag, Rossett Pike, Scafell, Scafell Pike

Date walked: 18/09/2020

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 24.7 km

Ascent: 2003m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A big day from Great Langdale in superb September weather.

I was dropping off Wendy at New Dungeon for a weekend with friends so it made sense to do something from here. After some really bad traffic near Windermere I was booted for 9.45am.

I really wanted to get to the top of Scafell again so decided to make that a target....unfortunately from Langdale this means you have to reclimb the Pike.

Lovely weather but the route from Scafell Pike to Scafell and back is as rough as things gets in Lakeland - scree, boulders, scrambling the lot and progress is slow but the rock scenery is magnificent.

1 Langdales.JPG
Langdale Pikes

2 Mickleden.JPG
Mickleden

3 Bowfell from RP.JPG
Bowfell from Rosset Pike - I'd recently been up there but once you've climbed up the gill you may as well top out

4 Ahead to Great End.JPG
Ahead to Great End

5 GE from EH.JPG
Great End from Esk Hause - in good weather a direct line is quite possible

6 Scafell Pike from GE.JPG
Ahead to the 3000 footers from Great End

7 Borrowdale.JPG
Borrowdale

8 Broad and SP from IC.JPG
Broad Crag and Scafell Pike from Ill Crag - an easy diversion from the main path

9 SP from Broad C.JPG
Scafell Pike from Broad Crag - close to the path this top but a scramble over big boulders needed

10 SP.JPG
Scafell Pike

11 Scafell ahead.JPG
Scafell and Mickledore - I don't remember ever getting a clear day up Scafell before. The scenery is incredible

12 Strecher Box, Mickledore and Broad Stand.JPG
Stretcher box, Mickledore and Broad Stand

13 Foxes Gully.JPG
A rough and loose descent took me down to the entrance to Foxes Tarn Gully. I'd initially considered Lord's Rake but they are still recommending helmets due to rockfall.

This route wasn't without incident either with the guy pictured being cragfast. He had a disability and didn't have use of one arm and couldn't manage a rock step. Fortunately the guy behind me helped out and he pushed him up while I pulled him up and we got him over the step.

14 Illgill Head, Burnmoor and Wastwater.JPG
Ilgill Head, Burnmoor Tarn and Wastwater from Scafell

15 SK and SP from S.JPG
Symonds Knott and Scafell Pike from Scafell- how easy does he route to the Pike look from here!

16 S from SK.JPG
Scafell from Symonds Knott - a Nuttall that I was sure I must have done before but when I got there obviously hadn't....it's quite a rocky little summit and you'd remember it!

17 Scree slope to Foxes Tarn.JPG
Heading back down the very loose scree slope to Foxes Tarn - here I passed the guy who was crag fast earlier who had continued without incident which was re-assuring as I thought I may need to ring Mountain Rescue if he was stuck again.

He confirmed his plans to head off via Slight Side - so he should be fine.

18 Down FG.JPG
Looking back down the gully. It's an easy scramble both up and down - the only issue being kicking loose rocks down on people below you....so care is needed

19 east butttress.JPG
The route back to Mickledore goes underneath the East Buttress

20 Pulpit Rock and Moseale Horseshoe.JPG
Pulpit Rock and the Mosedale Horseshoe

21 Gable.JPG
Great Gable

22 Esk.JPG
Esk Pike from Esk Hause

23 Back through M.JPG
Back through Mickleden
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland