walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Black Fell - another post work delight

Black Fell - another post work delight

Postby Jaxter » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:45 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Black Fell

Date walked: 16/09/2020

Time taken: 0.45

Distance: 3.13 km

Ascent: 82m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

[urlhttps://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=100179&p=431753#p431753]Previous day - Holme Fell, a hidden gem[/url]

Cycle 15.17km, 303m ascent & 1 hour 30 minutes

Another wee bike-hike after another day's work. It was slightly less hot than the day before, but I was also not feeling so good. We thought we'd give it a go anyway. We took the same route out through Elterwater as I had the day before (still steep but I couldn't say it was a surprise any more :lol: )

At the top of the big hill we took the track in the opposite direction to the day before, initially towards Tarn Hows. It was delightful (uphill) tarmac to start with but soon turned to rubble and rocky slabs - curse these all-access tracks!! The views were good though!

The track (one of the better sections)

The track split after a while - we took the left hand fork which went steeply uphill and turned to a mixture of gravel and rubble that was largely impossible to cycle on :roll:

We were gaining height quickly, but not easily!

We were overtaken by mountainbikers, who seemed reluctant to trade their bikes for ours :lol: At long last we had reached the turn-off. I was exhausted and wasn't sure if I'd manage the hill or the cycle home! However, Malky locked up the bikes and tempted me along the path on foot

We passed through a gate before picking up a smaller path onto the fell - we could see the summit ahead

Black Fell with the bigger fells behind

Looking back - Tarn Hows and Coniston Water in the distance

The summit finally reached, we were able to see down to Windermere 8)

Esthswaite

As we climbed higher we could see down the glen to Lingmoor Fell with the Pikes and Crinkle Crags behind

Jaxtering on Black Fell

It was worth a short diversion beyond the summit to get the best views of the Helvellyn range

Trig point

From here we retraced our steps back to the bikes before continuing along the track back to the road (rough but not as bad as the previous section!) From there it was a short cycle back to Langdale where we made it back before dark 8)

Next day - a really stupid cycle & a marilyn
Attachments

activity_5547029023.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Black_Crags.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland