walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Llandudno HuMPs

Llandudno HuMPs

Postby Rekrab » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Date walked: 23/02/2011

Time taken: 6

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 624m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

when the wife was heading away to Visit her Brother she asked me to see her off to Llandudno Junction train station, I then Consulted http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/EWRegions/MarilynRegions.php?qu=Hu&gp=M30C
and found that Great Orme, Criegiau Rhiwledyn, Bryn Evryn, and Bryn Pydew, were close and small enough to be included in together in a day.

I started from Llandudno train station and I headed up to the Great Orme, Now let me explain here this hill, the Llandudno council does not want people not climbing this hill, there is a road right up to the Summit, Arriva Wales does a Bus service to the Café on the Summit, there's a tram (you even have to change stations when you reach the summit plateau) and you can drive or walk it.

I headed up the tram tracks (Llandudno is off season right now so no tram service)
and it was very steep I found myself gaining a lot of height very fast
IMAG0218.jpg
Great Orme from Llandudno shore

IMAG0223.jpg
Steep tram tracks

IMAG0237.jpg
this shot does gradient justice

now once on Great orme Summit there's no shortage of things to do, there's a café, shops, play park, dry ski slope, and 18 holes of Crazy Golf!!!
so I took the rest of the road up and avoided the buses and cars and headed to get a little something to eat and it was a little crazy to just nip into a shop on the top of a hill
IMAG0228.jpg
SHOP!!!!

I took pics on the Summit and got out of there!!!
IMAG0231.jpg
looking across to Conwy

IMAG0232.jpg
looking to second HuMP of the day Criegiau Rhiwledyn at the other end of Llandudno bay

IMAG0236.jpg
Llandudno bay with Criegiau Rhiwledyn

IMAG0226.jpg
Me on Great Orme

after Great Orme I descended along the tram tracks to Llandudno bay to walk it's Length to the Second HuMP of the day Criegiau Rhiwledyn
IMAG0239.jpg
Criegiau Rhiwledyn from Llandudno bay

wasn't sure of the route up this one so I kinda just went for it from the west.
IMAG0240.jpg
Criegiau Rhiwledyns west side

was pretty easy as it's only 141m so very quickly the Cairn was spotted and pics were taken.
IMAG0245.jpg
Cairn Spotted

IMAG0243.jpg
Great Orme from Criegiau Rhiwledyn

IMAG0247.jpg
Looking to Penrhyn bay and the 3rd HuMP of the day Bryn Evryn.

so luckily I found a good path heading down and to the East spitting me back out at the B5115 which I would walk along until I hit Penrhyn bay
IMAG0252.jpg
Bryn Evryn Spotted from the streets of Penrhyn bay

it was a bit of a mission to find the start up this Hill as i knew I wanted to descend it on it's w side so if I had to waste time circling it to find a way up then i might have to cancel the 4th HuMP luckily I asked someone and they told me that there was a car park on the east side of the hill so I headed there
IMAG0253.jpg
start of the 3rd HuMP

the whole thing was nicely Sign posted!!
IMAG0254.jpg
nice

once again this only another 100 odd meter hill so the cairn was quickly spotted and more pics of the area were taken
IMAG0260.jpg
Cairn spotted

IMAG0262.jpg
Looking to Great Orme from Bryn Evryn Summit

IMAG0259.jpg
and looking to Criegiau Rhiwledyn

IMAG0265.jpg
Looking to HuMP number 4 Bryn Pydew

Luckily I found a good path heading back down to the western side of Rhos-on-sea and it even spat me out where I wanted to be which was on the western side of this hill as the next hill is a ways away and to not have to circle a large hill that was a bonus

next task was finding a way across a small river to the other side of the valley the roads and bridges are far and few between luckily I found these football pitches that covered most of the valley and I followed the pitches to the car park and then found a wee footbridge across the water getting my to the road on the other side of the valley and to the start of the new and last hill.
IMAG0269.jpg
Looking back to Rhos-on-sea and Bryn Evryn from the start of the Bryn Pydew ridge

IMAG0270.jpg
heading up trying to get onto Bryn pydew ridge

IMAG0272.jpg
on of the ridge now Summit should be marked by a mast beyond the trees

Summit spotted!
IMAG0276.jpg
Last HuMP summit Found!!

IMAG0277.jpg
looking down to Conwy from Bryn Pydew Summit. after a long day

headed down to Llandudno Junction as I was Pure dead from this 18K walk!!!!

thanks for reading

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Re: Llandudno HuMPs

Postby colgregg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:00 pm

My one and only time on Great Orme was when I drove up to it around 15 years ago. There's some good views to be seen. Avoided the cafe and shop so as to avoid the kids suffering "i want" syndrome and me moaning about the cost of a cup of coffee. One thing I do remember was that on the south facing slope at the summit car park people had arranged all the loose stones into letters and words. Are they still there? I recall that they were of quite a considerable size too.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Llandudno HuMPs

Postby Alastair S » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 pm

And my one & only time up the Great Orme was in the early 80's to see a stage of the Milk Race! Got the train from Stoke with my bike (you were allowed in those days :lol: ) to see the morning's stage finish in the town's sea front, and in the afternoon they had a time trial up the Orme. Didn't realize there was a tram up there though - might have left my bike behind & taken that if I had known. Remember there were some great views up there when it wasn't raining :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland