walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eskdale to Borrowdale via an Important Question on Scafell

Eskdale to Borrowdale via an Important Question on Scafell

Postby cparky3 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:50 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Allen Crags, Glaramara, Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Allen Crags, Glaramara, Scafell Pike

Date walked: 12/07/2019

Time taken: 30

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1090m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For last years’ significant birthday, my OH had planned a surprise weekend away. I’d surmised we were off to the Lakes, and knew I required my walking boots and big rucksack fully packed and prepared for a hike!

We headed up from London on the train. I was anticipating a Penrith bus to Keswick or train from Oxenholme to Windermere interchange - but to my surprise our tickets were for Carlisle. From here we changed on to a little Northern Rail train, and took a lovely ride North of the lakes all the way down the coast to Ravenglass. I’m less familiar with this side of the lakes, so at this point I didn’t know the train excitement wasn’t over! And following a lovely ale in the railway pub, we climbed aboard a tiny steam train, and rode the rails all the way to Eskdale! It was somewhat hilarious using this miniature tourist attraction as an actual form of transport and we arrived gleefully into the little village of Boot, staying our first night in the YHA Eskdale.

IMG_4322.jpg
Arriving in style

The next day we set off early, walking along the river into a very quiet little valley. The first 30 mins actually caused a bit of panic as my heavy backpack was causing my shoulders to hurt at an alarmingly early stage in our walk! Pausing to stop, we lengthened the back of the rucksack to ensure the hip strap was low enough, and weight was resting in the correct place. This solved the problem, and just 10 minutes later I was feeling much better.

IMG_4354.jpg
Starting off

IMG_4358.jpg
Heading along the river to Lingcove Bridge

The path through the valley was gaining height, as we headed up into what I now know is the Great Moss. It’s so quiet on this side of the lakes, and this big cavernous valley feels really very remote. The terrain flattens out here, and it’s a little boggy, but we made our way across to the far side, and then began climbing up again. I still didn’t know where we were going, although as we left Eskdale behind, I started to wonder if the very large mountains in front of me might just be the Scafell range?! Some cryptic comments from others on the way down referring to “the” top, made me realise we were on our way up the highest peak in England!

IMG_4384.jpg
Looking back at the Great Moss

Reaching the ridge, it was very strange emerging from this peaceful side of the mountain to meet the masses coming up the main Wasdale track. We’ve been up Scafell Pike a number of times together - but always from Borrowdale, so it was fun to bag the peak via such a different route. Following a quick visit to the top, a pre lunch wee (whoops!), a proposal (accepted) and a very yummy packed lunch later, and we were on our way down Scafell Pike towards Sprinkling Tarn.

IMG_4392.jpg
Looking from the Mickledore ridge across to Scafell (you can see why that route is not possible for walkers!)

We had a lovely evening camping by the tarn, watching the sunset over Great Gable, before heading over Allen Crags and Glaramara into Borrowdale the next day. I am pretty familiar with this area of the lakes but have therefore become rather complacent, at times following my “instinct” rather than the map! This had us accidently come off the Glaramara ridge to the East, which can prove rather dangerous if you don’t realise your mistake, and meant we had to retrace our steps back up (argh!) to the ridge, and take a decided turn to come down the main body of the mountain. Mistake corrected, we next negotiated the little scramble (whoops forgot about this one well!) - rather haphazardly hoying my large pack down first, followed by an equally graceful bum slide.

IMG_4468.jpg
Evening from Sprinkling Tarn

IMG_4480 (2).JPEG
Heading over to Glaramara

IMG_4513 (2).jpg
Great Gable looking ominous

IMG_4516 (2).jpg
Coming down into Borrowdale

The route was fairly straightforward after that, and we landed in Borrowdale for what we felt was a well deserved golden ale outside at the YHA (symmetry with beer always important in your routes!). A very enjoyable, and arguably, eventful, 2 day excursion in our favourite part of the lakes!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

cparky3
Mountain Walker

Munros:18   
Fionas:1   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland