walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pillar and Haystacks from Honister

Pillar and Haystacks from Honister

Postby dav2930 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Haystacks, Pillar

Hewitts included on this walk: Pillar

Date walked: 11/10/2020

Time taken: 8

Distance: 15.8 km

Ascent: 1480m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A much-needed, sanity-preserving walk on the fells, where the becks still flow, the grasses still nod in the breeze and everything remains as it always has been. For a few hours in the October sunshine, all talk of infection rates, three-tier restriction measures and mass unemployment is blissfully forgotten. Nothing up there for Boris's tousled image to appear on; just white clouds mirrored in tarns and puddles, and the silently enduring rocks.

DSC04938.JPG
At the Drum Hause, looking to Pillar

DSC04939.JPG
Looking back over Borrowdale

DSC04942.JPG
High Crag and High Stile

DSC04943.JPG
Buttermere and Crummock Water.

DSC04944.JPG
Pillar

DSC04946.JPG
Great Gable

DSC04949.JPG
Wast Water from Beck Head

DSC04950.JPG
Kirk Fell above Beck Head

DSC04952.JPG
Yewbarrow from Black Sail

DSC04954.JPG
The ridge to Pillar from Black Sail

DSC04956.JPG
Wasdale from the ridge to Pillar

DSC04957.JPG
Wasdale with Scafell on the left

DSC04960.JPG
Gable and the Scafells from east ridge of Pillar

DSC04962.JPG
Wasdale and Burnmoor Tarn

DSC04968.JPG
The Scafells from summit of Pillar

DSC04970.JPG
Pillar summit

DSC04971.JPG
Scoat Fell & Steeple, Isle of Man on horizon.

DSC04972.JPG
Ennerdale Water

DSC04973.JPG
High Stile, Grasmoor, Skiddaw

DSC04974.JPG
Robinson, Hindscarth, Skiddaw, Blencathra

DSC04975.JPG
Ennerdale and the Solway

DSC04976.JPG
Descending to Pillar Rock

DSC04977.JPG
South side of Pillar Rock

DSC04978.JPG
Top part of High Level Traverse, looking back up

DSC04981.JPG
East face of Pillar Rock - Shamrock & Low Man

DSC04983.JPG
Shamrock, Walker's Gully & Low Man

DSC04984.JPG
Pillar Rock

DSC04985.JPG
Head of Ennerdale

DSC04987.JPG
Scarth Gap

DSC04988.JPG
Path up Haystacks

DSC04989.JPG
Enjoying the view over Buttermere

DSC04991.JPG
copter

DSC04992.JPG
Summit of Haystacks

DSC04995.JPG
Great Gable from Haystacks

DSC04996.JPG
Innominate Tarn

DSC04998.JPG
Buttermere

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Pillar and Haystacks from Honister

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:47 am

Lovely day for it - nice autumnal colours in the first photo. That did look a good way to get back to some sort of "normality" even for only a few hours - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Nice pics of arguably the best walk in the Lakes. Remember doing it in winter - about 12 hours (8 in crampons - But from Black Sail we went via Robinson's cairn, Shamrock traverse up to Pillar - sort of reverse of your route - then down to Black Sail YH, up Loft gill and back. Path down from drumhouse a mass of water ice - and we had one small torch berween us :( :( :lol: :lol:
Also my goggles fell off on the traverse and clattered down the Shamrock. Norman's ribbed me for ages that he's seen a sheep wearing them :lol: :lol:
In Summer the evening sun lights up Boat How - brilliant
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby dav2930 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:02 pm

rockhopper wrote:Lovely day for it - nice autumnal colours in the first photo. That did look a good way to get back to some sort of "normality" even for only a few hours - cheers :)

Thanks RH. I really didn't want to go back home that day! I've been pining for Scotland too - haven't been to the Highlands since February. :(

past my sell by date wrote:Nice pics of arguably the best walk in the Lakes. Remember doing it in winter - about 12 hours (8 in crampons - But from Black Sail we went via Robinson's cairn, Shamrock traverse up to Pillar - sort of reverse of your route - then down to Black Sail YH, up Loft gill and back. Path down from drumhouse a mass of water ice - and we had one small torch berween us :( :( :lol: :lol:
Also my goggles fell off on the traverse and clattered down the Shamrock. Norman's ribbed me for ages that he's seen a sheep wearing them :lol: :lol:
In Summer the evening sun lights up Boat How - brilliant

Thanks Tony. I agree that whole area around the head of Ennerdale and especially the high level traverse to Pillar Rock is about as good as gets in the Lakes. Sounds quite an epic you had in winter! Hope those goggles weren't expensive - or if they were that the sheep appreciated them! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:47 pm

An inspiring set of pics - looks like a wonderful walk. This is definitely a special part of a special part of the world.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby trailmasher » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:18 pm

I don't know how I missed this when it was posted :( . What a great walk dav, one of the best in the district with a bonus of some decent weather to boot allowing for some great walking memories to look back on. It's always good to get in the hills and leave everything else behind for a few hours :) Thanks for posting :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:18 pm

Alteknacker wrote:An inspiring set of pics - looks like a wonderful walk. This is definitely a special part of a special part of the world.

Thanks AK. Funnily enough I hadn't combined Pillar and Haystacks quite in this way before; I've always backtracked to Black Sail YH on previous occasions. It's a bit of a brutal descent from Pillar to the Liza, but is more than compensated by the close-up views of the rock and then the lovely rising traverse up to Scarth Gap. Considering what a fine area this is, it's about time those hideous plantations made way for the Ennerdale rewilding project! :D

trailmasher wrote:I don't know how I missed this when it was posted :( . What a great walk dav, one of the best in the district with a bonus of some decent weather to boot allowing for some great walking memories to look back on. It's always good to get in the hills and leave everything else behind for a few hours :) Thanks for posting :clap:

Thanks TM. I'm sure I've missed loads of reports (probably including some of yours) in recent months. It's difficult to keep up with them all sometimes! Your kind comments are much appreciated though. I think getting out in the hills and leaving everything else behind has meant more to me over the last few months than ever before :D
dav2930
Ambler

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:56 pm

dav2930 wrote:....Considering what a fine area this is, it's about time those hideous plantations made way for the Ennerdale rewilding project! :D

Could not agree more. Collectively we really need to push to reverse the environmental vandalism of the Forestry Commission (and also of grouse moors!!).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Alteknacker wrote:
dav2930 wrote:....Considering what a fine area this is, it's about time those hideous plantations made way for the Ennerdale rewilding project! :D

Could not agree more. Collectively we really need to push to reverse the environmental vandalism of the Forestry Commission (and also of grouse moors!!).

But they are much less awful than they were. When I first went there with school friends on a youth-hosteling trip - Easter 1956 I think - they were much more uniform and sharp edged and filled the entire floor of the valley :( :(
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby dav2930 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:35 pm

past my sell by date wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:

But they are much less awful than they were. When I first went there with school friends on a youth-hosteling trip - Easter 1956 I think - they were much more uniform and sharp edged and filled the entire floor of the valley :( :(

Thankfully, yes. Even when I first visited the area in the 1970's it was still as you describe the way it was. It's been steadily improving in recent years, but they just need to get on with it! :lol:

AK - totally agree about grouse moors. All the so-called "arguments" in their defence have long since been exposed as specious and disingenuous. Environmentally, socially and economically they are nothing but an outrage and a scam perpetrated by the unfairly privileged and disproportionately powerful. :(
dav2930
Ambler

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland