walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Orton Scar - A wild walk in tame surroundings

Orton Scar - A wild walk in tame surroundings

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Date walked: 09/05/2022

Time taken: 6

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 400m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Edit 25/09/2022 some photos from an earlier visit going East to WEst are now included

The limestone scars between Orton and Kirkby Stephen form a rather narrow North-South band only 2 - 3 km wide. However when I lived in Soulby I wanted a rather longer walk and developed an East- West route across them starting in Orton - or more conveniently at the cattlegrid where the B6260 Orton to Appleby road enters the open access land - and finishing at the Black Swan - a friendly watering hole in the village of Ravenstonedale (Rassendale or even Russel to it's inhabitantants).
I even managed to persuade the local authority to construct two new stiles so that walls could be crossed without damaging them.
N.B. There are lots of paths on the route, but by and large you don't follow any of them, so a map and compass are essential, and I have written this report as a series of instructions

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Starting at the cattle grid at the top of the hill follow the North side of a wall past a large monument to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee,
9735.JPG
The start along the N side of the wall
9738.JPG
The monument comes into sight
9741.JPG
At the 1887 monument

9746.JPG
Go R through a gateway, and continue on the South side of the wall until it turns sharp L
9747.JPG
The wall corner - looking back West
. Continue in the same line until you meet the wall again and descend to a gate in a dip - not easy to see from a distance. easy to go too far L
9748.JPG
In the open space beyond
9751.JPG
Looking back towards the monument
9754.JPG
Gateway in the dip
If you start in Orton itself, you join the walk here following paths through Scarside farm.
Go through the gate, but instead of following the big track, head off at about 2 o'clock and climb limestone pavement towards a lone bush on a limestone ridge
9756.JPG
Bush on the horizon
9758.JPG

9759.JPG
On the limestone pavement
, , Descend to a stile - also not obvious from afar again further R than you think - and cross into Great Asby Scar Nature Reserve. The terrain on this section is much the most difficult - it tends to ease as the walk progresses
There is a more limestone pavement up to the R, but the next objective - straight ahead - is a group of three large cairns: it is easiest to keep on the low ground on the L, go through a gate and climb up to them.The three cairns have now been replaced by five but they are nothing like so prominent::however a section of fencing has been removed and you can head straight for them
9760b.jpg
The stile is further R than you might think
9763.JPG
Heading up to the cairns -
9764.jpg
Cairns
9765.jpg
Biggest cairn
9768.jpg
We had a brief rest beside the cairns: you should be around 75-90 min into the walk at this point
From the cairns head diagonally R (about SW) to a wall and follow it for nearly 1km into a square corner with gates on the S and W side. You can also cross the wall through a gate and follow the South side - this is what we did this time
9766.JPG
Heading diagonally R: Wild Boar Fell at the back
9769.JPG
On the recent walk we came across this cairn - marking nothing in particular :lol:
9772.JPG
Looking South to some trees with the Howgills: behind
9775.JPG
L... Early Purple Orchid ........ R Wood anemonies
9776.jpg
Herb Robert
9778.JPG
This gate crosses to the South of the wall - I' m afraid all the gates look rather similar
9781.JPG
And this one which is new leads into the corner: the wall can be seen continuing on the far R -
9784.JPG
we went through it and immediately R through the this one, and followed a large track South: but after about 50m headed almost due E - slightly uphill - to cross a new stile
9788.JPG
Crossing the new stile
Continue following the N side of the wall - yes it's the same old wall you started along :lol: - until it turns R, then head along a shallow grassy depression (about ENE) and bear R up to a ridge with several cairns overlooking the unclassified road between Raisebeck and Great Asby. There are a lot of cairns on this ridge and if you find yoursellf overlooking Sunbiggin tarn you need to follow the ridge NE above the road
9790.JPG
A general view East across the featureless landscape
9793.JPG
This is the "correct" cairn
9799.JPG
The village of Liitle Asby
Drop down, cross the road, ascend the other side and head just S of E keeping close to the Northern edge of the open access land.

Potts Valley
9804.jpg
Approaching the Potts Valley
The sides of Potts valley are steep - precipitous in most places - and the only easy way in is by a path at the Northern end. Cross the beck - usually managed dryshod - cross another new stile, head briefly S and follow a diagonal track up the other side.
9803.JPG
Approaching the valley - this view looks North
9807.JPG
The track descending to the stream
9808.jpg
Crossing the Potts beck going East to West
9808.JPG
Looking across - the track up the other side is no longer visible - I guess because lockdown has dramatically reduced the amount of traffic
9809.JPG
From the far side looking South down and across the valley
9810.jpg
Group assembled above the valley - from an earlier occasion headed East to West
Where this track turns L - heading for Crosby Garrett - it is necessary to head on a compass bearing (about SE) for the 382m top of Nettle Hill . you cross two tracks but ignore them.There is a new fence hereabouts but a gate to cross it: we headed South down the track on the its far side, and headed across the rough ground to Nettle Hill at its nearest point
9811.JPG
I have a feeling the Trig point at the top of Nettle hill is seldom visited
From Nettle Hill descend about SSE and rejoin the path which heads hrough a metal gate and then S to join a path that crosses the disused Smardale railway by a bridge: You are on the Coast to Coast path at this point.
9814.JPG
We rejoined our track and headed South through a metal gate: Wild Boar Fell again behind
9817.JPG
Junction with the Coast to Coast
Turn R and descend to and cross an old stone bridge over Smardale beck. it is interesting that although this area sits between the two sources of the Lune, these two becks have cut though the limestone and run North to join the Eden.
9820.JPG
Looking down to the old stone bridge - through the rain :lol:
Immediately beyond the bridge go R and follow tracks though fields to Ravenstonedale, crossing the main A685 (care) - there are stiles on either side. After crossing the road follow the track though the field and over a tiny rivulet to a stile. Beyond the stile turn L and then immediately R down a track. at the end of this the Black Swan and a well earned pint are about 50m on the R. Again due to lockdown the tracks in the fields South of the stone bridge are quite indistinct

Instead of crossing the stone bridge, you can also follow tracks on the W side of Smardale beck and arrive in the village
Footnote
If you prefer to shorten the walk by finishing at Crosby Garrett head North after crossing Potts valley.. Just beyond two mature trees an inviting gate in a corner suggests the way. But the track beyond is VERY muddy and it is much better to stay on the open access land and enter the village under the huge railway viaduct
Last edited by past my sell by date on Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Orton Scar - A wild walk in tame surroundings

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:01 am

I repeated this walk in May this year with my friends Noirman and Ailie from Keswick, to take some photos. I have also reset the date.
We Left one car at Rassendale, and took another to the start. Unfortnately the weather deteriorated later in the day, and the photos of the very scenic Potts valley don't really do it justice.. It started to rain as we crossed the Coast to Coast - So no pics of the latter stages but we had an excellent pint at the Black Swan. :D
There have been a number of changes since I last did it around ten years ago, and I have noted these in bold type. It is still a very wild and quite tough walk but thoroughly enjoyable.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland