walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Norway's Highest Mountain - the Giant that is Galdhopiggen

Norway's Highest Mountain - the Giant that is Galdhopiggen

by Anne C » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:29 pm

Date walked: 03/09/2017

Time taken: 6

Ascent: 600m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Norway's Highest Mountain - the Giant that is Galdhopigg

Postby Anne C » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:39 am

wildmountaintimes wrote:That sounds like a terrible experience - where's the fun in being herded around like that? And the guides don't sound very professional or safety-minded. I'm training for my ML award just now and your experience is the complete antithesis of what a mountain guide should be.

It certainly wasn't fun :( It did surprise me but I just wondered whether the Norwegians were more relaxed about snow/ice and I'm conscious too that I have a very low tolerance for any sort of risk.
My husband's an ML and I used to bring up the rear so to speak on some of his guided walks in the past so yes, that experience felt a long way away from what might be a more common experience of a hike with guides :shock:
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland