walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lank Rigg: Mother Goddess of the Earth

Lank Rigg: Mother Goddess of the Earth

Postby Pointless Parasite » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Lank Rigg

Date walked: 27/10/2020

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

LR view from W.jpg

I have climbed Lank Rigg on about 15 occasions, each time 'alpine style', in a single 2 hour round trip without bottled oxygen or sherpa support. I am the Kenton Cool of Lank Rigg, which makes me the primary authority around these parts. I have put together a summary of the main routes up and down the hill, most of which I've walked in the last 6 months.

General description
Lank Rigg is a huge dome shaped hill surrounded by the River Calder to the West and North, and Worm Gill to the South and East. A shallow col links it to Whoap, which leads to Iron Crag and Crag Fell. It's defended by a kind of 'moat' of bogs on it's lower slopes on the West side. Further up, these bogs become patchy before eventually giving way to dry ground on the upper slopes. Invasive bog rushes cover the wettest areas, making them easy to identify and avoid. Stay clear of the rushes and you should be OK, although the ground can become very soggy after heavy rain.

If you're driving, there's a small amount of parking at the trail head on the Cold Fell road. Failing this, there's more parking down the hill near the stone circle or near Lowther Park forest. For public transport users, the nearest bus stop is probably at Wath Brow. You can reach the trail head by taking the path between Dent and Flat Fell, then joining the coast-to-coast route up to the stone circle.

LR view from W - Copy.jpg

Route 1:
This is often used as a descent by people combining Lank Rigg with Crag Fell, Grike and Lhotse. It is the easiest route, both in terms of effort and route finding. It is drier than some routes, but not entirely bog-free. The large section known as White Esk is often soggy after heavy rain, and the following section passing below Whoap is also boggy in places. Some people go over the top of Whoap, rather than down the valley, but the lower slopes of Whoap are also very boggy in places.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The main issue, other than the bogs, is river crossings. There are two; the first over 'Stinking Gill' just before it joins the Calder, then after crossing White Esk, you must cross the Calder itself. The second crossing is much more difficult, especially after heavy rain. At some point, there were probably stepping stones, but these have been washed away. It's usually easier and safer to cross further downstream (near an old sheepfold) where the river is gentler and less rocky. If you fall in here you'll just get wet. Fall in further up and there's a good chance of banging your head or getting swept up in the current. Walking poles are a huge benefit here. It's worth bringing one specifically for the river crossing.

Whoap.jpg
Approaching the first crossing with White Esk and Whoap behind

The second, more difficult crossing, with Whoap ahead:

Calder crossing.jpg
Approaching the second river crossing

After you reach the col between Whoap and Lang Rigg, it's an easy plod up an increasing gradient to the summit, which is just after the steepest part.

LR summit.jpg

Route 2
This is a compromise between Route 1 and Route 4. It's a semi-direct route that cuts a bit of time off and largely avoids the bogs (it's probably the driest route on this side of the hill). To be honest, it's really only any good as a descent route. As an ascent, it's hard work and less interesting than Route 1.

About half way up, there is a small pile of stones that looks unlikely to be natural. There are various features of ancient civilisations marked on the OS map on the South side of Lank Rigg, but nothing on the North. It's possibly a burial marker*.

*There are legends of dead climbers being left on Lang Rigg, including one known as 'Green Boots' on account of the wellies he was wearing to cross the bogs**. I wish to stress that there is no truth whatsoever in these rumours and that the overall summit to fatality rate for Lank Rigg remains very low.

**I made this one up myself

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

When descending, it's best to aim for the point around 100 m upstream from where Worm Gill meets the Calder. Again, avoid the rushes. There are places in which Worm Gill can easily be crossed in a short stride. Any joy is short lived though, as the bogs here are especially nasty on the other side :(. And you need to cross the Calder again :(

R2_descent.jpg

Route 3
This is the driest route but requires the most effort to reach in the first place. Instead of bogs and rushes there are large patches of bracken and even scree. It's one of the remotest places in England and is very rarely visited. Most people who combine Caw Fell with Lank Rigg will cross over Iron Crag before making the easy traverse over Whoap, joining Route 1. When I was a youngster, in a characteristically poorly planned trip, I pushed my bike all the way along Iron Crag in the snow, up Caw Fell, then down to Worm Gill. I can't remember for sure, but I think I then climbed over Lank Rigg, but may have taken the track round the East and South side to join the main road at Cold Fell.

Worm Gill side.jpg

There is a small water intake works where Bleaberry Gill meets Worm Gill. It's mentioned in Wainwright's guidebooks and the inside of the small building is covered with graffiti from people with names like 'Tony' and 'Geoff'.

IntakeWorks1.jpg

I visited this place a few times on my bike when I was younger. It's every bit as spooky as in was back then. There's a little fireplace in one corner of the hut, so presumably people were based here for at least a day at a time, or possibly sleeping here.

IntakeWorks2.jpg

IntakeWorks3.jpg

I've probably climbed Lank Rigg from this side a couple of times, but I'm not the only one. A WH report by Trailmasher also describes ascending from this side after descending Caw Fell. Recently, I noticed an interesting looking gorge (Hole Gill) while walking over Iron crag and thought it might be worth exploring. After I climbed Haycock, I walked over Caw Fell and followed the length of the crags on the North side down Bleaberry Gill to the intake works. From here, it's a short walk through thick bracken to the start of Hole Gill.

Hole Gill lower.jpg

Caw from LR.jpg

Near the top of Hole Gill, there is a small craggy section. I made the mistake of trying to climb it and came close to disaster. I climbed about half way up, but couldn't get any further and turned back. In the process I pulled off a huge chunk of the rotten rock, which smashed over my knee. Somehow, I only sustained minor injuries. Broken bones in this area would not be a good thing :(

Hole Gill upper.jpg

Route 4: The Direttissima
I have long wondered if there may be a route through the bogs on the North West corner of Lank Rigg, allowing for an elegant line of ascent. On one occasion, I thought I'd found it when descending, getting to within about 100 m of the River before becoming mired in bogs and barely managing to escape. The problem is, even if you do survive the bogs, there is no easy way to cross the river at this point. I managed to get through the bogs but lost my balance crossing the river (no poles) and got a soaking :(

A further major problem is the extensive area of tussocks interspersed with the bogs higher up. These are extremely frustrating to walk across and there is a serious risk of twisting an ankle. It's either the bogs or the tussocks. There's no easy ground in this area :(

Route 5
I have much less experience of the South side of Lank Rigg. I climbed this route when I was a young child with my parents once. They spent much of the walk cursing 'Arthur bloody Wainwright' on account of AW's confusing maps. It was another 20 years before I realised he was actually called Afred.

As mentioned earlier, there are a number of ancient sites in this area, including homesteads and field systems. These are described extensively Here

There's also 'Matty Benn's Bridge', which is given its formal name 'Monks Bridge' on OS maps. The nickname comes from Martha 'Matty' Benn (1831-1888) who would often ride over the bridge on horseback while drunk.

As a closing remark, just remember Lank Rigg is a seriously tough hill with a low success rate. Even highly experienced roped-up parties, trained in bog rescue techniques and with full base camp support have failed to reach the support. Remember the hill will always be there next time, bogs and all.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Lank Rigg: Mother Goddess of the Earth

Postby arjh » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:51 pm

Nice. :clap:

My first time on Lank Rigg was during the summer this year. Used siege tactics over 2 days to climb it via the northern and then southern Ennerdale skylines. Picked up the Compressor Route from Whoap summit, returned the same way & left the bolts in for more hardy souls.

Unlike Maestri though, I actually reached the summit...
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Postby Pointless Parasite » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:02 pm

Yes I forgot about the famous compressor route :lol: This raises a number of important climbing ethics issues. Suppose a large team laid siege to the hill and built a boardwalk over the bogs and a bridge over the Calder, would that class as aid climbing? This may sound like boasting, but I've always climbed Lank Rigg free solo and feel this is the best way to enjoy the hill. You never feel so alive, when you've so close to [a boggy] death.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Postby nigheandonn » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:36 pm

I couldn't remember which way I'd gone, but it appears to have been your route 1 - except that in order to be properly acclimatised I went OVER Dent and Flat Fell from the bus stop. I also crossed the Calder with bare feet!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby trailmasher » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:40 pm

Ah! PP, thanks for posting this 'Ways to climb Lank Rigg' directory and could you advise date of publication please as I'm sure it would be a most welcome and wanted addition to every ones library of their fells books :lol:

Also thanks for drawing out my memories of a long drop off from Caw Fell and a somewhat 'bit of a pull' up by the side of Worm Gill which was reminiscent of the sketches on the back cover of Wainwright's Outlying Fells of Lakeland. It is indeed -IMHO - one of the hardest ways to the summit :roll: and as you so rightly point out PP, care must be taken on this most isolated of fells :?

Thanks also for all the information and a great report :clap: BTW, did you leave any money under the cairn :? :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby goth_angel » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:30 pm

Great post and also useful as I ran out of steam after doing Grike and Crag Fell and therefore still have this one to do.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby Pointless Parasite » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:05 am

nigheandonn wrote:I couldn't remember which way I'd gone, but it appears to have been your route 1 - except that in order to be properly acclimatised I went OVER Dent and Flat Fell from the bus stop. I also crossed the Calder with bare feet!

Yes that was a fine report and a very unusual route! In fact you could also approach from bus stops at Egremont or Calder Bridge. Starting at Calder Bridge would allow the inclusion of the ruined abbey, which is worth a visit.

trailmasher wrote:Ah! PP, thanks for posting this 'Ways to climb Lank Rigg' directory and could you advise date of publication please as I'm sure it would be a most welcome and wanted addition to every ones library of their fells books :lol:

Also thanks for drawing out my memories of a long drop off from Caw Fell and a somewhat 'bit of a pull' up by the side of Worm Gill which was reminiscent of the sketches on the back cover of Wainwright's Outlying Fells of Lakeland. It is indeed -IMHO - one of the hardest ways to the summit :roll: and as you so rightly point out PP, care must be taken on this most isolated of fells :?

Thanks also for all the information and a great report :clap: BTW, did you leave any money under the cairn :? :lol:

Thanks TM. No, I've never found any money :( I've noticed from other WH reports that 1p and 2p coins are sometimes left, but even these have been taken whenever I look.

goth_angel wrote:Great post and also useful as I ran out of steam after doing Grike and Crag Fell and therefore still have this one to do.

Thanks, I'm sure few people would relish coming back just for LR which is why it's so often combined with the other two. Just doing LR does at least give you the opportunity to explore some of the other routes, such as from the South.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Brilliant! Great achievement!!

Any acknowledgement from Mr Kool...???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Pointless Parasite » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Brilliant! Great achievement!!

Any acknowledgement from Mr Kool...???

Ha ha, no but he must be struggling to find work these days so he's more than welcome to join our guiding company :lol:
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:34 pm

pointless parasite wrote:This is often used as a descent by people combining Lank Rigg with Crag Fell, Grike and Lhotse

I find this a little puzzling as I can't imagine any motive for wanting to combine Lank Fell with Crag Fell. Aren't the combo of the other three enough of a challenge?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Tim599 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:56 pm

I’ve climbed for the first time this week via route four. I think I got lucky as it’s been dry for a good couple of weeks now :D
I hadn’t originally planned to go up this way but I thought there was a faint track up so assumed a few more had been this way. Upon closer inspection I’m not sure if this was the case. Anyway it was quite a slog but dry for most of it. It would, indeed be horrendous it was wet!!
Tim599
Hill Bagger

Munros:14   
Hewitts:105
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby Pointless Parasite » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:34 am

Good job :clap:. Any faint tracks are most likely made by sheep, especially with the lack of visitors in the last few months. Farmers use quad bikes in this area but they tend to leave a muddy rutted track and I suspect they know to stay clear of the lower slopes of LR. They've made a real mess of Whoap though.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Postby Chris Henshall » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:27 pm

I've just stumbled across this comprehensive and inspirational report when I should have been working; it is much more interesting than work so many thanks for it!
It might be worth noting that the peak possesses the additional hazard of gorse, at least on the southern slopes if descending recklessly from Boat How and Gray Crag towards the ford / stepping stones at Worm Gill. As I had made a potentially catastrophic error in swapping out my salopettes and snow gaiters for shorts when I descended this way a few years ago, it cost me a couple of scratches which, if they had been deeper, could have led to a significant loss of blood, a real problem if they had been inflicted at a higher altitude.
As it happened, I continued my descent through Scalderskew Wood and past the farm of the same name to cross the Bleng and descend to Nether Wasdale - passing through an interesting and relatively unfrequented part of the Lakes.
Anyway, thanks again!
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland