walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fiery Furnace: A Video Report (Favourite hike to date)

Fiery Furnace: A Video Report (Favourite hike to date)

Postby When Adventure Knox » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:05 am

Date walked: 22/12/2020

Time taken: 3

Distance: 3.7 km

Ascent: 14m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was lucky enough to visit the US in the summer of 2019 and stayed in Moab, Utah for a few nights exploring Canyonlands and Arches National Parks,

You'll need to obtain permits from the visitors centre to hike in the Fiery Furnace, you'll have to watch a video about the trail, the do's and don't and you'll be asked a few questions by a friendly ranger afterwards (I guess to check that you'd taken the video seriously) Then you're issued with the permit for $6 per adult.

The best way to describe the walk is like a natural maze created by mother nature. It's easy to get lost in there (half the fun), it requires lots of scrambling, getting on your butt and shifting down things, but it was an immense amount of fun and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who can work with its physical requirements

The video is my walk report and the Fiery Furnace begins at 4.00 (I complete a more straight forward walk to the very famous 'Delicate Arch' at the start of the video)

I hope you find the video report enjoyable
When Adventure Knox
Walker

Re: Fiery Furnace: A Video Report (Favourite hike to date)

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:39 am

Fantastic video!

I was lucky enough to visit this amazing area years ago. Didn't manage to fit in the Fiery Furnace hike, but there were just so many extraordinary places! - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=64484

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Fiery Furnace: A Video Report (Favourite hike to date)

Postby When Adventure Knox » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:23 pm

Hi Tim

Thank you for your kind comments!

I agree, the area is stunning. I visited in 2010 and didn't have time for the Fiery Furnace, and on return in 2019 I knew I had to do it!

Your sunrise photos of Delicate Arch and Monument Valley are amazing :clap:
When Adventure Knox
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland