walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Waun Fach and some gory history

Waun Fach and some gory history

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:10 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Waun Fach

Date walked: 21/07/2020

Time taken: 5

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 662m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

July, July, we were allowed into Wales! :D Not too welcome in Snowdonia though...

I visited my ex-husband in Ceredigion, and then, on my way back, 'nipped' up into the Black Mountains.

[The Black Mountains, just north of the Brecon Beacons: not to be confused with Black Mountain on Offa's Dyke, nor with Mynydd Du.]

More by luck than judgement I found the Waun Fach layby carpark (saying 'Dragon's Back' rather than 'Waun Fach' on its sign) and a parking fee honesty box (plus promise of CCTV).

I dropped down to the hidden footpath, went left to walk parallel to the road, and then up a little lane on the right which took me to Castell Dinas. I headed up to the ruins with a Scotland-style right-to-roam gay abandon (hope that was ok), and startled a brown hare which bounded away and hid itself very effectively somewhere.

So by 7.55am I was up at the castle ruins, sipping coffee and nibbling a homemade blaeberry, nutty, date-y, chocolatey breakfast bar, while I took in my surrounds in the morning light.

Image005 View north from Castell Dinas by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image002 South to east Brecon Beacons via Pen Allt-Mawr by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image003 Western flank of Waun Fach by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image004 Y Grib - the Dragons Back by Emma Kendon, on Flickr [The Dragon's back - and so am I :D ]

Image007 Meadow pipit by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image001a Wild Mountain Thyme by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Dating from about 1070, this Norman castle is the highest one in England and Wales at 450m (1,476'). It was built in stone right from the off, stolen by bad King John, taken back by Prince Llywellyn ab Iorwerth who sacked it, Henry III refurbished it. Llewellyn's grandson nicked it back and in the 15th century rebellion it was finally destroyed. Mad.

Image001 Castell Dinas entrance tower wall by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Oh, lovely. Respite from lockdown. At last. Up on a hill, no one around, looking not at Worthing but at more hills, and wild thyme at my feet. Logistics meant this was to be a modest little walk, but right now, sitting on this sacked castle hill, looking at a tame dragon, it was ok (though the area is farmed to within an inch of its life, like England).

Image006 NW from Castell Dinas by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Breakfast had, up the Dragon's Back I went. It had been a roasting hot, dry week and I wondered what the trickling Rhiangoll would be like in winter. I was applying sunblock as I walked up past bilberry bushes, and all I could hear from down below was the bleating of sheep and lambs.

Image010 Trickling Rhiangoll in a dry week by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Back in April 2017, I'd taken a friend up Pen Y Fan in the rain. It felt so much longer ago than that, as I looked back at it in the distance over Mynydd Troed and the grassy ridge beneath me. Bleating had given way to the caws, flaps and jacks of crows.

Image011 Pen Y Fan from the Dragons Back by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

And then there I was, approaching the first cairn I'd seen since Drumochter in Feb. Surprised I didn't hug the thing!

Image013 Pano west from the cairn by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

There were swallows up here, and the sunlight was shimmering off the glossy crows' wings in the cleft of the hill. Then.....aaaaahhh.... the first happy squelch of Bog.

Image014 First bog since lockdown by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image015 First bog cotton by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image017 Bog cotton by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image020 Cotton grass and Pen Y Fan by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Funny what you miss. :)

In my lockdown pond-building and planting, I've explored whether I can plant acidic soil plants, including sedges like this, but there's no responsible way of doing it, so bog cotton remains an exotic treat :lol: I plucked a head, and stroked my cheek with it over and over. Right now it was carpeting the Cairngorms floor, where I'd been in the snow earlier in the year, and I think we have a patch at Ashdown Forest.

Anyway, bog-bonding done (you can do this when there's no one around :lol: ), I turned right on the ridge and the modest top of Waun Fach lay ahead. As did more coffee.

Image021 Approaching Waun Fach summit by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image022 Morning coffee at the top by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

A top in a pandemic, not a dramatic top, not a particularly challenging walk, but higher than at home and yet with appallingly little wildlife I was finding bitter-sweet. Odd sensation, one of many, and of course the overriding feeling was how lucky I was.

I did take panos from here and they're on Flickr, but the top is so flat they're a bit pointless (no pun intended) to pop in here. Though now I've said that I realise I have to give an example or two:

Image030 SW towards Merthyr Tydfil by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image029 SE pointy Sugar Loaf above Abergavenny by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

So, after second coffee and a handful of almonds, I headed down.

Image032 My way back down via Pen Trumau by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

With lockdown legs, although it was a shame not to have slotted in a real mountain adventure, the ease of descent had its attractions. There was time just to take in what was coming up. The first thing coming up was a person, keeping to the lower contour and sharing a silent greeting raise of the hand with me, just the kind of human it was a pleasure to see. He was followed by a hag. (By which I mean I then saw my first peat hag for months too.)

Image033 A person by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image035 First peathag since lockdown by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image034 Pen Y Fan vista for descent by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

There were no plover of course, no greenshank, no eagles, no froglets, no harrier, but "here, hare, here" (to steal from Withnail & I), and wheatear, buzzard, kestrel and a probably inevitable Welsh pony I believe.

Image036 Wheatear by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image037 Buzzard by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image040 Pony zoom by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

A brief study in trees...

There's currently around 1.5 million ha of conifer plantation in the UK, some with firecrests and crossbills thriving in it, or with capercaillie maybe, much with very little living there beside the cash crop. I'd like to find one with goshawk and nightjar, black grouse and hen harrier. This one, from this distance, looked probably rubbish, e.g. Corsican pine. Jury's out on whether fast-growing conifers are any kind of solution for carbon capture, meanwhile...

Image043 A study in trees by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

By now there were a few more people trickling up Rhiw Trumau, though not necessarily heading on up to Waun Fach - there was another low contour route which went round the hill and then led I know not where. But I still had big long stretches to myself with more wheatear, goldfinch, swallow, butterflies and a sweet scent of bracken.

Image048 Meadow brown by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image053 Sickly sweet smell of bracken by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Down at valley-level, it was a walk back through wooded sunken paths and little winding lanes until the wooden steps reappeared to take me back to the carpark, where my car now had some company.

The gory history

Castell Dinas, where my mini-journey began, passed into the de Braose dynasty in 1125 and their power grew throughout this whole area of the Welsh Marches (amongst others) as highly favoured allies of each subsequent monarch. The relationship fell apart spectacularly during the time of William de Braose, 4th Lord of Bramber (Bramber's near me in Sussex, where the castle is in a similar state of ruin). He was a court favourite of horrible King John and it's not really known why they fell out, but it might have been his wife Maud annoying John by making it known she believed he'd ordered the death of the young contestant to John's throne.

John took all William's castles and William fled to France where he was hanged. But Maud and their eldest son were imprisoned and left to starve to death. There's even record of Maud having eaten the flesh of her son's cheeks. (Histoire des Ducs de Normandie et des Rois d'Angleterre, pp.112-5)
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Re: Waun Fach and some gory history

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:23 pm

Gorgeous photos of a wonderful part of the country. Love the meadow pipit and the wheatear too.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby dav2930 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:39 pm

I was very interested to read this report and enjoyed your photos of the wonderful scenery and wildlife. You saw a lot more of the latter than I usually do in the Lakes (which is of course notorious as an ecological disaster area). Aged 11, I spent a family holiday in this area, staying at a farm called Ty Caradog in Michaelchurch Escley just east of the Black Mountains. My first "hillwalk" ever was with my dad onto the ridge of Black Hill, a couple of miles SE of Hay Bluff. It made a huge impression on me and sparked my obsession with hills and mountains! I've been meaning to revisit ever since, but so far haven't got round to it.

Jury's out on whether fast-growing conifers are any kind of solution for carbon capture...

I really hope the government / landowners don't latch on to that idea, as it'd give them an excuse to spread the damned things everywhere instead of planting native species, which would throw biodiversity out of the window :(
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby RobW » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:02 pm

Nice, enjoyed the wildlife, even the horrible history!

There used to be a toppled trig pillar wallowing at the peaty summit - gone now or sunk maybe.

Being England based I'm usually in Wales frequently but this year managed just one weekend before heading for mainand Europe, then when I got back they closed it again :(
RobW
Hill Bagger

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:575   Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   Islands:151

Postby bigkeith » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:55 pm

Fun and uplifting report :thumbup: :thumbup: . Superb pics and info :clap: :clap: .
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:06 pm

Great report :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Don't know how I missed it first time around... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland