walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Capitol Reef - Desert arches and canyons (video walk report)

Capitol Reef - Desert arches and canyons (video walk report)

Postby When Adventure Knox » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 am

Date walked: 07/08/2019

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In summer 2019, I spent a couple of days visiting Capitol Reef National Park in Utah. Practically deserted due to Zion, Arches, Canyonlands and Bryce Canyon National Parks neighbouring it and too often overshadowing it. I loved how quiet the park was and were blessed with an overcast day giving us respite from the desert sun in the summer. In this video walk report, I complete 3 short but stunning hikes:

1. Cassidy Arch - where the hiking trail takes you over an arch
2. Cohab Canyon
3. Hickman Bridge

When Adventure Knox
Walker

Re: Capitol Reef - Desert arches and canyons (video walk rep

Postby Anne C » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:37 pm

Great to see a report on Capitol Reef - we did some walking there on a visit 3 years ago - agree, stunning area and relatively unfrequented!
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Re: Capitol Reef - Desert arches and canyons (video walk rep

Postby When Adventure Knox » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:29 pm

Hi Anne, thank you for your kind words about the report. I understand why Arches and Zion get the visitors, but I'd choose Capitol Reef over Canyonlands any day, and I'd say it's on par with Bryce's attractiveness!
When Adventure Knox
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland