walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lake District Northern Fells: Bowscale Fell

Lake District Northern Fells: Bowscale Fell

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:13 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Bowscale Fell, Mungrisdale Common

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Bowscale Fell

Date walked: 02/08/2020

Time taken: 4.25

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 650m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the previous day's "mopping up" of minor fells around Troutbeck (north-eastern Lakes), this made for a nice mountain day in the quiet fells at the back of Blencathra. Although Mungrisedale Common, as anticipated, was a bit of a bog trot with little to recommend it, both the walk in and the nearby high ridges that I also took in were very enjoyable. The "summit" of Mungrisale Common does have a damp, path leading to it and it is marked by a small cairn (so at least you'll know you've found it if you're making an ascent in the mist!)

I chose to ascend Bowscale Fell by way of the path that runs initially alongside the River Glenderamakin and then makes use of an old bridle path. Part of the original bridal path has recently been swept away in recent floods but a well constructed diversion is now in place.

Web 2020.08.02 IMG_9915 Bowscale Fell.jpg
Bowscale Fell 2306'

Mungrisdale Common is pretty dull (the photograph below being the most interesting photo of the top that I could come up with!) It was, however, the final one of Wainwright's Northern Fells that I hadn't walked up. I've put it off for a while and, frankly, I didn't have too much enthusiasm for it today either! Still, as it turned out. the walk in was excellent and Bowscale Fell and Bannerdale Crags are enjoyable peaks, and well worth repeat visits. The weather was kind and made for a good day out.

Web 2020.08.02 IMG_9916 Mungrisdale Common.jpg
Cairn marking the highest point of Mungrisdale Common

A return via Bannerdale Crags and a walk along the crest of top of the crags makes for a worthwhile view and return walk.

Web 2020.08.02 IMG_9920 Bannerdale Crags.jpg
Bannerdale Crags 2230'

There's a very good little tea garden in Mungrisdale village near the start/finish of the walk (particularly as the pub is currently closed.) Called Loraine's Tea Garden, it does really good tray bakes and excellent home-made jams and marmalade (I came away with a jar of Rhubarb and Ginger jam - really good!)

Web 2020.08.02 IMG_9921 Tea Garden.jpg
Lorraine's Tea Garden

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by jonathan - norfolk on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Re: Lake District Northern Fells: Bowscale Fell

Postby gld73 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:56 pm

Haven't done these ones before, might pencil this route in for the next time I make it down to Cumbria to see my parents (hopefully 2021, I didn't manage in 2020!!)
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland