walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Morning on the Wall

A Morning on the Wall

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:10 pm

Date walked: 22/12/2020

Time taken: 3

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 265m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walk was undertaken in December 2020 within the guidelines of the time

With Christmas and full lockdown looming, I had one final short outing in 2020. My final holiday of the year was taken and I set off early, staying in what was then all tier three as per the guidance, to watch the sun come up over Cawfields Quarry.
I'd never been here before, most of my trips to Hadrian's Wall had been to the area around Crag Lough, but this looked a promising place for photography and so it turned out to be as I ended up most pleased with my shots from the morning.

Blue Hour

Cawfields Quarry

Empire of the Sun

Roman Morning

With the best of the dawning light over I returned to the car, dumped most of my camera equipment in the boot, and set off along the wall with Hughie who was most relived that the standing about behind a camera and tripod was over.

Part two of the morning involved wandering up to the high point on the wall, Winshield Crags, before making my way back to the car by lunchtime as I had things to do in the afternoon.

Milecastle 42

...and again from higher up

Forgotten

Blinded by the light

The overhead cloud which had helped with this morning's photography was now lowering as we climbed higher and before long we were wandering in poor visibility up to the trig point.

The Old Ways

Contemplation

We found a suitable rock on the summit and sat and had some breakfast. I wasn't really expecting much to happen but gradually there were slight hints of the cloud lifting so we hung about and waited for a while to be rewarded by the sun breaking up the fog to give us the second treat of the day following the sunrise.

Light starting to break on Winshield Crags summit

Mist Lifting from the Wall

Looking South

Sun breaking through on the trig point

To the West

Emerging

Hazy glow over the Wall

We slowly wandered back along the wall enjoying the views in the beautiful winter light to cap off a splendid short outing, and a most welcome break from the drudgery of work and dismal news.

Golden Wall

Edge of Empire

Mist just about cleared

Winter Skies

Zoomed view to the West

Looking over Caw Gap

Back at Cawfields

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Morning on the Wall

Postby LucieK » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:11 am

Amazing photos! Thank you for sharing.
Lucie
LucieK
Walker

Munros:2   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:49 pm

Stunning photos - I love the Hadrian’s wall country, it has a different ambience from either the Lakes or the Pennines.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:24 am

Brilliant pics. As ever. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jim777 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:16 pm

Fantastic photographs. Looks a really beautiful piece of countryside with history included. Cheers.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:25 am

LucieK wrote:Amazing photos! Thank you for sharing.
Lucie

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Stunning photos - I love the Hadrian’s wall country, it has a different ambience from either the Lakes or the Pennines.

Tim

Alteknacker wrote:Brilliant pics. As ever. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jim777 wrote:Fantastic photographs. Looks a really beautiful piece of countryside with history included. Cheers.

Many thanks for your kind words.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:53 pm

Another fine effort Anthony :clap: with the usual fine pics and report of a walk in decent weather and lovely area. I walked the wall a few years ago in mixed weather. Great on a good day and dire when rain blowing in your face all day :roll: :?
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland