walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South Island 10 Christina

South Island 10 Christina

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:34 am

Date walked: 29/01/2006

Time taken: 15

Ascent: 1550m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For nearly three days in 2003 I had gazed longingly across the Hollyford valley from the Routeburn track to the Darrans, withe 2478m Christina dominating the scene

a01.jpg
Christina and the Darrans across the Hollyford valleyfrom point 1543
The weather remained perfect, and after my rest day at Milford I was keen to climb it. :)
D303.jpg
As you drive down the Hollyford valley road from the Homer Tunnel , the massive bulk of Christina dominates the view on the Left, much as does Liatach as you drive from Torridon towards Kinlochewe
D302.jpg
Another view - part of Crosscut on the L
Chrismap.jpg
Map of the ascent
D303a.jpg
Approximate line of same
We started in the dark, and I have inverted the the following photos all taken on the descent to create a logical sequence
D304.jpg
Looking up Cirque Creek - between Crosscut and Christina. An alternative route to the summit starts up this valley.
Getting out of the car we used loose sandals to wade the river, hid them in the vegetation and only then put on socks and boots to walk up the riverbed to the foot of the route as shown in the previous picture

D305.jpg
We headed diagonally R through thick shrubby vegetation to cross the prominent gully
D307.jpg
The climbing was like nothing I have experienced before or since: mainly on vegetation, but sufficiently steep - 45, 50 maybe 55 degrees that you needed to use your hands the whole time. I found that New Zealand shrubs make completely reliable handholds - and as there are no native grazing animals in the country, they are devoid of thorns or spines: I just reached up and pulled :D :D :lol: :lol: .
D308.jpg
We pitched just one section at the top of the slope, above which the angle eased and the terrain gave way to scree and snow sl'opes
D309.jpg
Sam looking down from the top of this pitch
D310.jpg
and abseling down it on the descent
D311.jpg
Above the pitch the angle eased a bit: looking up the valley past Crosscut towards Talbot
D312.jpg
Early morning (ascent) photograph: Homer Saddle R of centre and McPherson
D313.jpg
We headed diagonally R up scree slopes then put on crampons and went diagonally L up this snow slope: there was actually a lot more snow climbing than the pictures suggest and it was soft and slippery in places
D314.jpg
As we climbed higher the view towards Talbot and McPherson improved: the road leading up to the tunnel looks a long way below :shock:
D315.jpg
A zoomed view - the Llawreny peaks behind
D317.jpg
Looking back down the slope: pyramid Peak 2295m behind
D317a.jpg
A wider view: the road heading down the valley can be seen on the R

Photos from our high point - about 2250m
D319.jpg
We reached the North ridge, and looked down on Lake Marian over 5000 ft below :shock: . This was as far as we could manage in a single (15 hour) day. A group came past - headed for the summit, but they were carrying camping equipment
D318.jpg

D320.jpg
Views of Sam and myself with Lake Marian
D323.jpg

D324.jpg
ditto with Tutoko and Madeleine
D325.jpg
Looking just West of North to Tutoko and Madeleine: the four peaks of Crosscut in the foreground
D326.jpg
Looking roughly South West: Pyramid peak has several routes on it
D322.jpg
Looking North East: on the near ridge, the Peak on the R is Mt. Lyttle 1899m: the 2060m peak on the L is un-named - as are many in the area: at the back is 2830m Pikirakatahi (Mt. Earnslaw) - the second highest peak (after Aspiring) in Otago
D321.jpg
Further R - forests in the Hollyford valley
D327.jpg
A picture from the Web shows (far L) Conical hill and Mt Xenicus - close to Harris Saddle on The Routeburn, from where I had last seen the Darrans three years earlier:
We descended by exactly the same route. Below the short abseil Sam had built tiny cairns on ledges to guide us as the gully can only be crossed at one point. It was very hot in the afternoon sun and near the bottom we had a lighthearted discussion as to whether i needed to continue wearing my helmet :lol: :lol:
However when we reached the riverbed, I found that my ankle muscles were so totally knackered that I could not walk on the rounded cobbles :shock: - my boots just slid off :lol: :lol: :lol: l eventually managed the km or so to the road by chosing flat areas to step - but it took an age. I think Sam just thought I was tired :lol:
So ended my brilliant four-day stay in the Darrans: certainly the steepest and probably the most exciting mountains I have ever visited :D :D :D
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland