walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hey Diddle Diddle the Cat & Fiddle

Hey Diddle Diddle the Cat & Fiddle

Postby smirnie71 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Date walked: 12/03/2011

Distance: 11.8 km

Ascent: 332m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Meet, or should I say Tweetup with Helen for a glorious amble through the western Peak District taking in Danebower Hollow, Three Shire Heads, Pannier Pool and Axe Edge Moor before a good yomp back to the Cat & Fiddle where we'd parked up in a lay by opposite.
To my horror I discovered about a mile from the pub that I'd left my wallet at home so no celebration drinkie in the pub at the end of our walk.
That disappointment aside, it was a lovely day, no rain, occasional glimpses of sunshine and gentle undulations. Lots of interest too as we followed streams, played by waterfalls and strided over boggy moors. The remnants of mining in days gone by add to the interest in the landscape and the peaty hags make it look quite bleak and rough.
The curlews and grouse where out in force and by that I don't mean that I was moaning all the way! Even heard a sky lark.
I got a chance to try out some vango walking poles and for a first walk with poles it was ok - I have yet to make friends with them though. Prefer to amble along with my hands in my pockets but they definitely come into their own when heading up or down hill.

Today was all about walking, laughing and making new friendships and we certainly did all that! :D :D :D :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Peak District 12 March 006.JPG
Fiona and Helen laughing themselves silly, probably at me!

Peak District 12 March 009.JPG
Danebowers Hollow

Peak District 12 March 016.JPG
Cut-thorn Hill

Peak District 12 March 022.JPG
Panniers Pool

Peak District 12 March 029.JPG
Wolf Edge - glorious views at every turn

Peak District 12 March 036.JPG
Helen having a cup of her special brew made on the special stove!
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Re: Hey Diddle Diddle the Cat & Fiddle

Postby tango » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:43 pm

Smirnie looks like a good day out there had by all... Was Helen drinking special brew the beer!! or a special brew!!!!! :lol: Nice photos as well....
tango

Postby smirnie71 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Hehe, thanks Tango! A good day was indeed had and I feel on top of the world. It was actually really good to go for a walk where attaining a summit hasn't been the primary objective. Haven't done that in a while.

tango wrote: Was Helen drinking special brew the beer!! or a special brew!!!!! :lol: Nice photos as well....

It was a coffee brew although if she's known I'd left my wallet behind it may well have been a 'special brew' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby icemandan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:57 pm

Looks like a good round. It's surprisingly wild up there. The road picture could pass for one of the wild roads across Sutherland. There's a lot else to do around there. Shining Tor, Shuttlingsloe, the Roaches, the Dovedale Reef Knolls and Lud's Church are all worth a visit. I like the contrast between the wild moors and the pastoral expanse of Cheshire to the east.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:43 am

Good one Smirnie, looks like a right laugh :lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Done alot around there, also the other side in the Goyt Valley, can get a bit boggy but a great area, thanks Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi Iceman!

First visit up to this part of the Peaks and loved it so I'll be going back and definitely want to take a look at Shining Tor and The Roaches. So much to see so little time! :D :D :D

icemandan wrote:There's a lot else to do around there. Shining Tor, Shuttlingsloe, the Roaches, the Dovedale Reef Knolls and Lud's Church are all worth a visit.

Thanks for the recommendations :)
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi Susan,

It is beautiful and I'm looking forward to a return visit!
Mind you, by comparison, this trip to wales was Boggy with a capital B! http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10438

All good fun and a great learning experience though :lol:
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby icemandan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:14 pm

Have a look at Sue's report on Chrome Hill and Parkhouse Hill (the Dovedale reef knolls). You'll probably have seen these strange narrow ridges from Axe Edge. They are like nothing else although if you don't like heights, Parkhouse Hill can be a bit unnerving.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby smirnie71 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:36 am

Hi Iceman - just read her report and it's fabulous. I do think that you just have to give things a go and if all else fails there are hands and knees... I used them successfully to crawl out of peat hags the other day :lol:
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland