walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Black hill, Peak district

Black hill, Peak district

Postby al78 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:55 pm

Date walked: 05/04/2021

Time taken: 4.75

Distance: 19.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Took advantage of some decent weather whilst visiting my father over Easter to get one hill walk done in an attempt to get my legs trained to do sustained uphill walking in preparation for my cross-Knoydart trek at the end of May/eraly June. Parked at Torside car park and had lunch before setting off along the trans-Pennine trail to get around the reservoir to access the Pennine way at Crowden. The plan was to hike to Black hill summit using the old Pennine way, then come back to Longdendale valley along the current Pennine way.

Weather was sunny and fresh, and as I climbed up the wind increased making it feel cool, but it was perfect as the fresh breeze removed body heat at the same rate I was generating it through ascent, so I climbed up the long broad ridge via Westend Moor to the high moor and the summit without breaking a sweat. There was a short bit near the start of the climb where I lost the path and had to blaze a trail onto the ridge to pick it up again. Briefly stopped to chat with another man who was doing the same route in reverse.

The moor underfoot was mostly very dry, only sporadic damp patches so was easy to cross which helped a lot with progress. There were a handfull of people at the summit and the views were very extensive across to Bleaklow and Saddleworth moor. I descended along the Pennine way flagstones which again makes progress very quick and easy. Great views across the high moor gave a great feeling of vastness and isolation not unlike the more remote parts of Scotland. My route down picked up a small gully which gradually widens and deepens to a full size valley. The route follows the stream and climbs back up at one point to around 500 m which again gave great views down the valley and towards Bleaklow hill. After a moderately steep descent I was soon back near Crowden and I decided to get back to the gar by going the other way around the reservoir. This involved following the Pennine way parallelling the main road (a nice wooded section of path) then across the dam to pick up the trans-Pennine trail again back to the car park.
Attachments
route.png
The route.
IMG_20210404_162421.jpg
The car is over there but I can't walk straight to it without getting very wet.
IMG_20210404_162013.jpg
Pennine way near Crowden, looking east along the Longdendale valley.
on way down.jpg
Following the Pennine way along the side valley on the way down.
Black Hill summit panorama 3.jpg
Looking across to Saddleworth moor.
Black Hill summit panorama.jpg
Looking along the Pennine way from the summit.
IMG_20210404_132136.jpg
Looking back towards Longendale, Gtr Manchester beyond.
IMG_20210404_122641.jpg
View across the reservoir towards Black hill.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland