walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

At last!!! some hill action.

At last!!! some hill action.

Postby martin.h » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:43 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Yarlside

Date walked: 24/04/2021

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 750m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After reading some recent posts on walkhighlands we started to accept that we were able to "get out there at last" so, with that in mind, we thought a trip to the "quiet" Howgills was long over due :D

I had a little route planned as a leg stretcher that included the final couple of main tops we'd not visited last year, just how we'd get on after six months lack of hill activity remained to be seen, I had chosen quite a steep initial ascent just
as a tester :shock:

Our hills for today are:-

Yarlside
Kensgriff
Wandale Hill

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a bit of research as to where best to start from and the availability of off road parking (thanks to trailmasher for his advice on that one :thumbup:) we decided to start from the Cross Keys Temperance Inn on the A683.

We set off from home early to make sure we got parked, as it turned out, we were the only ones there when we arrived at 08:30 so we got ourselves tucked in beside pile of stones, well off the road, got booted up and were off by 08:45.

The weather was ideal, sunshine, cool, no wind and dry underfoot.

From the Inn we crossed the footbridge across the River Rawthey and turned right along the Pennine Journey footpath and walked along the lower slopes of Ben End.

Looking to Great Dummacks and Cautley Crag

We wandered along this for about 300m then turned off left to start the steep ascent that would take us more or less to the summit of Yarlside.

It was really a case of "keep going uphill until you run out of uphill", thinking it was going to be a slog due to lack of fitness I was prepared to take a few photo stops on the way, as it turned out it wasn't a bad way up, yes, we stopped a couple of times, but the general conclusion was it was a good way to get to the summit and the views were really good all around :D

The view to Cautley Spout was good, there wasn't much water in it so when we've had a wetter spell of weather we might re-visit just to see what it looks like with loads of water falling.

Cautley Crag and Great Dummacks reminded me of some of the hills in the Lake District and all around were the gentle fells of the Yorkshire Dales.

Still a fair bit of "up" to go

and what's been done :lol:

Well earned break

Views from the ascent

Wandale Hill

There's a decent cairn marking the summit of Yarlside, we had a long break and munchies on the top and felt pretty pleased with ourselves that our six month break from the hills hadn't taken too much of a toll on our fitness.

Summit views

Looking at the route forward we decided to include Kensgriff on our way to Wandale Hill so we set off NNW from the summit for about 300m then went down the steep sides towards Saddle, we could see the path up Kensgriff but no trace of one for the descent, we just went down, it was very steep so we just went steady a slip could be nasty.

We started the walk up Kensgriff, by now the ascents were getting a bit easier so it didn't take long or too much effort to reach the summit, the last time we were up here we were leaning into the wind, today was the complete opposite, no wind, nice and warm and the Skylarks were singing away, it was so good to be out in the hills again, we'd really missed this so we stayed a while on the summit just looking and listening :D

Yarlside from Kensgriff

Looking over to Wandale Hill it was difficult to judge the terrain to make an easy way across, we could just make out a fence lower down which could make it difficult to proceed especially if it had barbed wire on it, Backside Beck is steep sided so it was difficult to see what was down there so we decided to go the long way round and head for the waterfall and cross where Stockless Gill and Spen Gill meet at SD698998 it looked flattish there on the map so off we went.

Our crossing point is just below that small chasm to the left of the photo, middle hillside

Setting off NE from Kensgriff we walked on the path for about 600m then took a fairly direct route towards the waterfall, we could see the fence and were hoping it wouldn't cause any problems, as we got lower we could see it crossing the beck below where we wanted to be, then climb the hillside opposite, we could see it take a right leaving our intended route with no obstacles :D

The beck crossing was no problem, once across we followed the fence to its right turn then headed uphill unhindered all the way to the summit.

Our fence was protecting some recently planted trees

This ascent was gentle compared to a lot of the Howgill ascents so it was a nice steady plod to the summit of Wandale Hill where there's another decent sized cairn.

Sleeping Elephants

Harter Fell

It was 11:30 so getting close to lunch time, there was a cool breeze on the summit so we wandered off the top to find a decent spot lower down, we found one just off the path sat down and enjoyed our lunch in lovely surroundings with views that are as good as anywhere in the British hills.

Saddle between Yarlside and Kensgriff

After a decent break we set off on the last leg of our day out heading South for a sheepfold marked on the map. At the sheepfold we turned right heading for the Bridleway that would take us to Narthwaite and then the Pennine Journey path back to the Cross Keys.

Bridleway view

Narthwaite

Narthwaite view towards Cross Keys

We had a good day out, only 4.5 hours but it was just right, we were debating where to go for our next day out in the hills on the way back to the car and concluded that there were still a couple of days out in the Howgills so that's our plan, at the moment we'll leave the Lakes alone until it quietens down :roll: :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: At last!!! some hill action.

Postby trailmasher » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:15 pm

Nice one martin.h three good hills on a good route and photo records of a days graft :clap: I found that climbing up to Bowderdale Head and roughly following the short gill/syke up to the ridge path easier than the slog up Ben End but hey ho it didn't seem to slow you down any :wink: :wink: Your right about the drop off to Kensgriff it can be a bit of a challenge down that steep bank :? Well done on a good walk :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:16 pm

[quote="] I found that climbing up to Bowderdale Head and roughly following the short gill/syke up to the ridge path easier than the slog up Ben End:[/quote]

I did look at that TM and will probably do Yarlside again using that route especially if we want a look at the Spout with more water in it. We've really taken to the Howgills, our next trip we'll be heading for the western side, I fancy Whin's End, Brown Moor and Castley Knotts via Fell Head from Carlingill Bridge :D

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby dav2930 » Sun May 02, 2021 12:35 pm

Looked a lovely day out on the Howgills, which must have felt very liberating. It's good to see folks enjoying the hills again. Some very nice photos there. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby martin.h » Wed May 12, 2021 5:58 pm

dav2930 wrote:Looked a lovely day out on the Howgills, which must have felt very liberating. It's good to see folks enjoying the hills again. Some very nice photos there. :)

Yes, it's nice to get out again, we're going to try our best and make up for lost time this year, the only thing that's stopping us is that bloomin' four letter word "work" :roll: :lol: Roll on retirement :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu May 13, 2021 2:44 pm

That looks as good a way as any to climb Yarlside, certainly better than next to a rather rough gill up the Borrowdale side like I did :lol: That way down to Kensgriff is certainly steep and slippy. When ever I've seen it since I wonder just how I got down as it looks vertical. :shock: A fine wander by the looks of it and a great way to get back to the hills.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby martin.h » Mon May 24, 2021 6:22 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:That looks as good a way as any to climb Yarlside, certainly better than next to a rather rough gill up the Borrowdale side like I did :lol: That way down to Kensgriff is certainly steep and slippy. When ever I've seen it since I wonder just how I got down as it looks vertical. :shock: A fine wander by the looks of it and a great way to get back to the hills.

Thank you JK
I'd looked at the map several times to convince myself that the direct route up Yarlside was for the young or insane, now that we've done it I'm quite happy to be referred to as insane as the former doesn't apply to us :lol: no, really, it's not that bad :D
The Howgills are great, they're our new playground for the foreseeable future.

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland